Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Amy Anderson, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I am considering buying a condo in the West Hollywood area. I have no idea where to start.

Asked by Amy Anderson, Los Angeles, CA Tue Aug 26, 2008

Hello! I am thinking about buying a condo and I want to live in West Hollywood area or very, very close. Where is a good place to start? I would like to find out about any first time buyers or any assistance available to me.

Answers

9
Hi Amy,

Start by deciding how close you want to be to work, family & friends, shopping etc.... then, drive or walk around the area/s of choice at different times of the day/evening/night to get a 'feel' and 'sound' of the areas.

Does one area resonate to you more than another, being close to trendy coffee shops etc... is appealing or would you rather have a more quiet & sedate area. Once you drive/walk around the area you will know.

Once that is done, contact a Realtor who can help you get pre-approved for a loan including all 1st time buyer assistance programs, then, the same Realtor will assist you in finding your dream home.

Hope this helps.

Yona Bello
Web Reference: http://www.YonaBello.com
Dear Amy,
You need a great Agent to help you. A buyer agent will guide you every step of the way in a purchase. They will even help you get the best price! The best part is that you don't have to pay us either, we are paid by the seller of the property!
Hey Amy,

A good place to start is to have a buyer consultation with a Realtor. During consultations with first time buyers, I put together a package that includes a step-by-step guide to finding and buying a home and what to expect as the process unfolds. Right after that, you will speak with a lender who will ask you questions that will help him estimate the loan amount for which you will qualify. Taking his estimate, we will complete a home questionnaire together where I assess your needs and wants and get to the heart of what is important to you. From this information, we will take a virtual tour of properties that fit your criteria and pull some aside that we will physically preview. Lastly, we set a date to go preview some homes but between the consultation and the preview, you reconnect with the lender to complete a full pre-approval. Also included in your first time buyer package will be a sample copy of the paperwork in case you want to become acquainted with it before signing anything. Of course, any Realtor will be happy to explain the important items in each piece of paperwork before you actually sign on the line.

By the end of the consultation, you will know what to do and what to expect throughout the entire buying process. You will have an estimate as to where you will be approved by the lender. You will know exactly what you are looking for and have some homes to preview. You will leave with a road map that leads you toward owning a home!

Gregory Masi
Gibson International Brentwood
cell:310-488-4880
email: gregory@gregorymasi.com
Amy
I suggest interviewing some of the fabulous Realtors who have responded. You may not being paying them in the traditional sense, but the home buying process is a serious, significant financial commitment. You should talk with these professionals the way you would your doctor.

You need someone with whom you can relate, communicate, and feel that no matter what, they will put your interests first and foremost. I recommend that you take the time to ask the same questions to each, then compare the answers. This transaction is too important to treat lightly.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Amy,

Being a first time buyer will potentially allow you to obtain a lower rate and/or qualify for a loan that you wouth not qualify for had you not been a first time home buyer. All the comments below are correct. You should get qualified first to determine the price range you should look at. A good place to start is your credit union (if you are a member of course). Second, I would recommend you go to the bank you do business with. Third, try a mortgage broker, they have programs that are more flexible than the big banks.

I can help you with both your mortgage and finding you the right condo.

Buying your first home is one of the toughest decisions you will make. The right realtor will keep you informed every step of the way.

Gary Gukassian
Beverly Realty
818-303-4093
mrggg@aol.com
Hi Amy,

I live in West Hollywood and absolutely love it. You can walk to some great restaurants, it's centrally located and just a really fun city. I'm a Realtor with Hollywood Hills Real Estate Co., have worked with many first time buyers and would be more than happy to walk you through the process step by step. I have excellent references and would be happy to send you some testimonials (with phone numbers too). Give me a call when you're ready! Amber Kristin 310-663-5224
Hi Amy,
I am a local Prudential California Realtor who would love to assist you. Your first step is to get PREAPPROVED TO BUY with a good lender. This is necessary to buy any home, especially in this market. Lenders are very conservative now, and you need to be a good loan risk, or you may not be able to buy. A lender will tell you how much you can afford, and then a good Realtor such as myself, can show you properties in your price point. If you qualify, FHA loans are very good and require only 3% down payment. There is also a $7500 tax credit for first time buyers. I have a wonderful lender I can have you speak with.
Thanks so much,
Jan Braveman, REALTOR
Prudential Cal Realty
818-439-6509
You need to be approved by a lender then work with realtor. It will allow the realtor narrow the search work within the amount you are approved for and your specifications. .
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Hey there Amy, I am an agent with Sotheby's and have helped numerous first time buyers. My area of focus is Hollywood Hills and West Hollywood, Sunset Strip area so I know the condo market very well.

The best first step is to find out your comfort range for price. This way you will start shopping with a realistic goal and mortgage payment in mind.

Then I would hook up with a realtor and start looking at open houses to see what is available. I would be so excited to help you out! My main focus is buyers and finding them ideal properties for their needs.

You can also download a first time buyers guide from my website below. Just click on Buyers Guide. That literature is an amazing help to understanding the purchase process.

Hope all of this helps! There are some wonderful condos in WeHo to be had. Good luck and contact me anytime for assistance.

- Jeffrey White
323-251-2296