Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

smillick, Home Buyer in Hayward, CA

I am considering a move to Seattle or the Greater Seattle area sometime in 2016. I am 60 and live with five pit bull/pit bull mix dogs. Asked by

Asked by smillick, Hayward, CA Sun Oct 27, 2013

smil I am looking for a neighborhood within 10 miles of Seattle that is both safe & accepting of my dogs. They all live inside, are never out in the back yard alone, and are all spayed/neutered. They are walked frequently and are fine with people and other dogs. I recognize that I would need to get a hobby permit in King County for this number of dogs.

I would be looking for a 1-story home, 5, 000-10,000 sf level lot, up to 600K (but at that price, the home has to be absolutely move-in ready). I'm retired, so the commute isn't an issue; I do need to be within easy reach of good medical services.
If I find something that needs renovation, I would prefer a home in the 300-350k range. Also, I would need to be hooked up to city sewer services; no septic tanks, please!
I plan to rent in the area for 6 mos to get the feel and would be interested in 1) homes that would accept such a large number of dogs on a rental basis or 2) reputable boarding kennels.
Thanks for your time.

Good on you for adopting and parenting pit bulls / bully breeds. I've owned two and rescued several. They get a very bad rap, even though they are very loving and gentle. It's too bad. But that's the reality. You'll want to investigate the rules of Seattle and surrounding communities in regards to bully breeds. (For example; they're banned in Yakima County.) For your needs, I'd suggest South Seattle and all of south King County. Prices are more affordable in the southend and you'll find a larger population of pit bulls/owners in these communities. A couple of cities to consider ---a short distance from Seattle-- include Renton and Burien. Burien has Highline Medical Center for you, and Four Corners Veterinary for the pooches. Both cities have a slightly slower pace of life, and lower property taxes compared to Seattle. Just something to consider.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 27, 2013
There are plenty of good choices in the greater Seattle area. We are a dog lover city, esp when the dogs are well behaved. For 600 k you can get a very nice rambler in West Seattle or Shoreline for example.
Web Reference: http://www.johnabeall.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 27, 2013
As a non-speciest dog lover and a small landlord I concur with the others that it would be hard to rent with so many dogs. There are some fantastic places to board your dogs, you may not to rent for very long. I used to board my dog in the "country" in Maltby he had 2 acres to run around on, so they aren't always the typical cages.

I suggest you could do an Airbandb tour of the Seattle area. Stay in various rooms and apartments sans the rest of the "family" members and get a feel for many of the different areas. Go back and stay in the winning neighborhoods to see where you want to land more permanently. It's a great way to travel the world or the just the greater Seattle area.

With so many dogs not only will you get push back because of the breed but maybe the noise if your dogs are on the exuberant side. Some neighborhoods (ie higher priced ones) will be tougher on you than others. The further out from Seattle, as a generalization the more tolerant people will be of your pack. I suggest you find a place with a good patch of land and then invite your new neighbors to get to know your dogs before the rumors start, be proactive as the new neighbor hold an open house and show that your Pits are goodwill ambassadors of the breed. Good Luck with your search, your budget should be very doable for your needs. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like some assistance.
smillick, I wish you luck and feel free to contact me when you make a visit. I'd love to chat with you about different areas and give you some Airbandb ins and outs, I've been on both sides of the website. I also have never gone long without fur on my floor!
Flag Fri Nov 1, 2013
Thank you! Great suggestions. My dogs are all special needs (e.g., deaf, back problems, allergies) so they came to me gradually and my neighbors got to know each one of them and are used to them. I know that will not be the case when I move and I don't want to cause a stir. Thanks again.
Flag Mon Oct 28, 2013
Hi, there. I read through the comments previous to mine & agree with what most have written. In addition to all that, I want to mention that it will be extremely difficult to rent a house with 5 dogs because landlords will be concerned about possible wear and tear on the house & perceived liability concerning the dogs. There are many insurance companies that will not even insure the home because of 1 pit bull mix . I know because I presently have a Blue Healer/ Pit Bull mix.

With that in mind, and given that you are still 3 years out, I would plan some trips out here to get to know the area & see where you might want to live. Then, in 2016, you can come out with the intention of buying a home that you can just move into.

If you would like some assistance from someone locally, feel free to contact me any time. There are many communities you could be in within a short distance of Seattle & good medical facilities. Myself, I live 11 miles from downtown in a rambler on 1 acre.

Good luck to you in any case,
Jirius Isaac

Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction
Welcome to the NW. The only difficulty I have with your question is posing something that may be up to 3 years away. Whatever rules may be for having 10 dogs of any breed may change in any given municipality. When you ad a breed which causes fear in some, there may be additional restrictions now or in the future.
Your price point is great and will open up many options for you, as of today. Where things are in 3 years however may be anybody's guess.
I've been working with several buyer's lately in rural areas in King and Snohomish Counties. I'm confident that what you are looking for exists now within and below your budget and may well exist then too, but no one can guarantee what the next few years will bring.
With that many dogs, you could consider larger lots, a half acre or more and do well. Places in eastern King County and S. Snohomish County are within a reasonable drive to downtown Seattle for events, but rural enough for whatever you would like.
As your move date approaches, you and your agent can research what the rules are concerning the number of dogs you have at the time so you can be in compliance and not have any surprises.
Best of luck and let us know if we can help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 27, 2013
Hi there! I read through your lists of wants and needs and understand you are a bit out from making a move here to the Pacific NW. I have created a custom search for you which you can visit at any time for updated results, or your may register and save the search to receive alerts as new listings come on the market. I set up the search using the following criteria:

1) 10 mile radius of Seattle (Downtown)
2) Price Range from $250k-$600k
3) One Story Homes
4) Fenced Yards
5) Hooked Up to Sewer

Ensuring you can have ALL of your dogs on the property would need further investigation and will be on a case by case basis, but I can certainly assist with that as you get closer to making a decision.

I can also assist with rental properties that are pet friendly but in the meantime if you want to snoop around in the meantime you can visit this website:

Feel free to contact me if you want additional information
Thank you! I very much appreciate this. Sherri
Flag Sun Oct 27, 2013