Jason White, Both Buyer and Seller in Willow Glen, San Jose,...

I am buying a 100 year old home with a well and a water tower.

Asked by Jason White, Willow Glen, San Jose, CA Fri Apr 17, 2009

I am buying a 100 year old home with a well and a water tower. Who should I hire to inspect this home?

Answers

5
Hi Jason:

You definitely need a Foundation inspection, a well inspector, a structural engineer to qualify the tower.
Check with the city if this is a historical home, and issues associated with repairing, restoring a historic home etc.

Check out your budget, the costs and then make an informed decision to buy or not to buy.

If the math works out, go ahead.

Perry
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 1, 2010
Morning Jason

When we did a historic fixer in Naglee Park we used Homeguard. They allowed the buyer to follow them during the inspection and explained the issues to them.

Hope that helps

Rebekah
http://www.RebekahOwen.com
408-378-5568
For well, is it deep enough to always get water? Pump functional? Wiring adequate and safe. In some parts of the valley the water level is so low these days old well is not deep enough. On the water tower, is it termite infested? Is the structure seismically braced? Plumbing and leakage?

A general inspector isn't skilled to do these things. But I think geologist and structure engineer also need to be involved. Some civil engineers have geologist background. Plenty of challenges.

Historical homes may be subject to more stringent code when you wish to modify the structure. Need to check with local planning department see if it is on the list.

Hi Jason,
Are you buying the home through a realtor? If so, they should be able to advise you on this. In addition to a well inspection, there are a number of inspections that you should get on any home, but especially on a 100 year old home.

Roland