Home Buying in Boca Raton>Question Details

Cp, Home Buyer in Boca Raton, FL

I am buying a tear down and want to built a new house . What is the due diligence checklist ? the contract provides for 30 days inspection period

Asked by Cp, Boca Raton, FL Mon Oct 31, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


ALMA has great thought. Often it is easier to "renovate" , "Restore", add on to existing structure. Had friends in Washington (AC) who bought a shack of 1/1 and about 350 feet and added on to it a 4,000 foot home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 1, 2011
If you buy a Boca Raton house with the intention of tearing it down, there is no need to spend money for an inspection; there will be nothing left of that home in Boca Raton to inspect after you demolish it.

However, before you tear down that Boca Raton home, make sure that you have obtained clear title, which is typically presented to you at closing by the seller.

Before you finalize your offer, you might also want to check with Boca Raton planning and zoning, the Boca Raton building department, and very important, FPL and the Palm Beach County Water Department whether there any restrictions about how, what, where, and whether you can build on that piece of property.

Because this may take time, consider creating an addendum to your contract that extends your due diligence period from 30 days to 90 days or more. You're not really concerned with buying the house; you're buying the property. There are large time frame differences between the simple inspection processes involved in purchasing an existing home and the time consuming and sometimes complicated processes for purchasing a piece of property on which you want to build a new structure.

Since all new construction requires building permits, you may want to ask the general contractor and / or architect you are likely to hire to design and build the house if they can contact the town departments and verify all the aspects necessary for new construction. You'll pay for their time, but your architect and GC are likely to know the ins and outs of the county so they will probably obtain answers more quickly than you can.

After the town says you can build a house of a certain height, and number of square feet, it will still be necessary to present construction blueprints to the town and have them approved.

Assuming everything goes well with this phase, you'll find that the time for construction of homes in Boca Raton and getting them approved by the various parts of the building department will take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, depending upon the complexity of the structure. Again, your architect oo GC will be the best sources for this information.

Marc Jablon, The Jablon Team
Realty Associates
Web Reference: http://www.JablonTeam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 1, 2011
Hire an architect, contractor and a real estate lawyer, not necessarily in that order.
Good Luck.
Web Reference: http://Michaelliewhomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 31, 2011
Hire an attorney and GC! Good luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 31, 2011
A good contractor and a good lawyer will come in handly CP.

Wish you the best of luck, you are in a mine field of problems.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 31, 2011
If you're going to tear it down, you don't care about Disclosures;
You're REALLY buying it AS-IS!

Have you checked with the local Building Commission about Codes, Permits and Regulations to see if you can build what you want to build?

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 31, 2011
My question is why? There is so much inventory available why bother. As my mother says the soup will cost you more than the meat. The cost , the time for permitting, inspections, financing and the stress that comes with it .
So getting this off my chest made me feel better. As for you Cp finding the right attorney to get the ball rolling is more than a reasonable start. Get out your check book ready get set go.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 27, 2011
CP, although the Realtors and Communiity here can be very helpful, you need a R.E. atty for such a transaction.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
Dear CP,

You must check with your association if there is one, and find out their rules. Secondly, I have an amazing contractor. He specializes in this, so he would really know the checklist. They are very good! I would highly recommend them.

Michael Marzano

President / Owner
Jemstone Construction Group Inc.
9030 Paragon Way
Boynton Beach, Florida 33472
office (561) 742-5503

Not Your Typical Realtor!
Jennifer Susanne Sommers
Keller Williams Realty—East Boca Raton
2424 N Federal Highway, Suite 318
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
Email Jen@AgentBoca.com
Web Reference: http://www.AgentBoca.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 7, 2011
We would recommend taking with the Village building department, a local contractor (one you are considering using preferred) and anyone you know that may have built a home in the neighborhood you are considering.


Web Reference: http://teardowns.com/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 1, 2011
Have you considered going with an FHA 203K mortgage? May be cheaper and you may have to "modify" the current structure to qualify. Contact Wells Fargo's FHA 203k mortgage experts.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 1, 2011
Every town and village operates a bit different but during your due diligence contact the appropriate entity to make sure there are no
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 31, 2011
Cp- Trips to both the Building Dept. and Planning and Zoning Office will yield a wealth of
information for you to consider, There is the structure , but also the " site " conditions
involved in the feasibility of the project !
The considerations involved most always require some engineering and archetectural input
early on to ensure the "do-ability" both financially and technically. Do your own research
but don't go-it alone! Start with "Building" see what they suggest! Best of Luck!

Web Reference: http://pbc-realcam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 31, 2011
You should check with city & county about building codes and permits restrictions also with a licensed contractor maybe able to assist you better. Also check with tile company for a clean title, example to existing liens or open permits.

Eva Aliaga
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 31, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer