Home Buying in Avon>Question Details

Jackie, Home Buyer in Avon, IN

I am buying a new home. Builder says Electric heat is best, but I have always heard that gas heat is more economical. Which is cheaper to heat?

Asked by Jackie, Avon, IN Mon May 31, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Avon

Answers

2
I'll also add that utility costs can vary widely by the region of the country. For example, here in Lynchburg, electricity is the (for now) the cheaper method of powering heating and cooling elements. In New Jersey, where my family lives, gas (at the moment!) is the cheaper form of heating. When I meet and show buyers from other areas, I usually make this explanation, as they are typically more used to one form of power or another. I think contacting the utility companies is an excellent idea. And of course, the efficiency of the actual elements themselves makes a huge difference.
Because the electricity and natural gas prices are always changing, the correct answer to this question can change over time. I would recommend calling the local utility companies and asking them for their current rates.

Also, the type and energy efficiency of the systems you install in the home can definitely come into play here. For instance, electric resistance type baseboard heaters are typically very energy inefficient. However, electric heat pumps can be very energy efficient and electricity in this instance can be cheaper than natural gas. There are a lot of new "green" energy efficient systems available these days so you may want to do your homework. If you contact a local mechanical/HVAC contractor they could go over some options with you.

The builder may be pushing you towards electric baseboard heat because they are very inexpensive systems and really easy for them to install.