Home Buying in Colleyville>Question Details

Shanty, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

I am buying a house in colleyville on about half acre. how can I find out who owns the mineral rights on it?

Asked by Shanty, Dallas, TX Wed Mar 12, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:


Finding mineral rights can certainly be a challenge. You can begin at a title company attorney who will probably refer you to a Landman. It is my understanding that many of the developers retained the mineral rights when they developed sub-divisions.

The Barnett Shale Energy Education Council (BSEEC) is a community resource that provides information to the public about gas drilling and production in the Barnett Shale region in North Texas.

I also recommend googling 'Barnett Shale', for additional information.
Web Reference: http://www.bseec.org/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 13, 2008
Where is your realtor on this subject matter? They should be able to address these concerns. The odds for a residential home purchased you won't own the mineral rights. Without having all the info. can't assist
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 13, 2008
Title companies are typically no longer addressing this question. You will need to hire a landman. Contracts typically address who will keep the mineral rights....if there are any. A good realtor can help point you in the right direction on how to contact a landman or refer you to an attorney who can properly address the issue in your contract. Typical mineral rights title search by a landman should be in the $300$500 range for a city property as long as they have not changed hands lots of times or been split a thousand ways.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 12, 2008
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
The most reliable source would be the Tarrant County Tax Office or the county records office. It is different in some counties as to where the property deed books are kept. Go and look up the property to see the "history" of all RECORDED deed changes on that property. This will include the minerals. Those records will go all the way back to Spanish Land Grant.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 12, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer