Jnbuitrago, Home Buyer in 11370

I am buying a 1 bedroom condo on first floor in a 3 unit per floor building. Will resale be tougher for me when I decide to move out in 5 years?

Asked by Jnbuitrago, 11370 Fri Feb 18, 2011

Answers

5
I definitely meet buyers for Manhattan apartments who tell me early on, "No first floor units." Their concerns are noise, possible break-ins, low light and possible vermin (especially mice).

However, mice are good climbers and cats are good solutions! Anything you can do to respond to the other concerns will benefit you. Definitely paint and decorate with an eye to maximizing light if that is an issue for this unit.

You should also note the advantages of your location when it comes to moving in and out, hauling groceries, letting the dog out. I hope the building is dog friendly because that helps your location as well.

You're in Queens, also, where as we know most housing is houses that are accessed from the ground floor anyway. (Out-of-state brokers don't know this, and they also don't know that there is a strong market in NYC for one bedroom apartments; that is not a worry around here.)

All that said, you probably paid less for your home because it's on the first floor. Future buyers for your property will expect the same consideration.

Karla Harby VP
Rutenberg Realty New York City
kharby@crrnyc.com
I always recommend upper floor, end units to my buyers.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate, ePro SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (Direct/Cell)
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
As for resale, unfortunately none of us knows for sure where the market will head tomorrow or in the days to come, what we all know is today, therefore don't worry too much about resale--as for the floor, generally it's a matter of personal preference, therefore if the unit suits your financials, wants, needs, lifestyle, etc., again, don't worry too much, none of us knows what the future will hold.
Really hard to say. Some people will prefer not having to lug groceries up to the third floor. It is definitely a give and take situation that I do not think should deter your decision in purchasing.
Jmbuitrago;
While the market leans towards 2-3 bedroom units, you will do fine in 5 years if your property is priced according to market trends at that time.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com