Home Buying in Billings>Question Details

hassler, Home Buyer in Eaton, CO

I am being told that our house is not being looked at because we have a cistern for water. We have 20 acres and had 4 people look at it in a year.

Asked by hassler, Eaton, CO Mon May 20, 2013

Answers

3
Many potential buyers do not like the prospects of hauling water and think that it is much more expensive. A few buyers unfamiliar with anything other than public water systems think that a cistern is something unsanitary and are unaware of today's modern cisterns. I suggest that in your marketing point out that for a small fee ( you might even quote the fee) , there are water companies that will deliver water to your modern sanitary cistern that usually only needs refilling once or twice a month ( depending on useage and cistern size).
Having a cistern does make it a lot tougher sell...I have a lot of buyers that are not willing to have a cistern when they are looking at properties (especially with that many acres). Is there any opportunities for a well to be put in? If so, you can market that for potential buyers. If not, letting buyers know how much you spend on water and how often you fill also helps. Sometimes the cost is less than what people think it might be.
You are trying to sell the place yourself.
You believe what "they" told you about the cistern.
You've had it for sale for year!

Doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting a different result; do you know what that is the definition of?
Greetings from Laurel Montana. We have a home in Yellowstone County on 20 acres on the rim so it's high desert. We have a 2000 gallon sistern. We haul our own water from a private well in Laurel that is open to the public with City Water and it costs us $.25 cents for 50 gallons. We haul 600 gallons per week so that's about three dollars a week. We figure it costs about $30.00 per month for water including fuel to haul and we have plenty of water for 2 people, 2 horses, 4 dogs & 3 cats. I don't have a garden but we do have flower beds around the home & do water from the cistern in the summer. I would actually prefer to have well water from a purity standpoint. I'm not wild about the chemicals cities put in water to protect their pipes but it's what is availabile to us. To have a commercial carrier deliver water is about $100 per month. City water and sewer system subscribers here pay at least $80.00 per month for water and that's if you are very conservative. Hope the facts help.
Flag Mon Jun 17, 2013
Hey, Ron - your post reads as condescending & arrogant. I hope you don't use that tone with all of your sellers. I wouldn't hire you as my agent if you spoke or wrote to me that way. Even if your advice WAS sound (which I don't believe it is since you obviously don't have all of the facts), I doubt intimating that hassler is insane helps anything. Oh, hats off to hassler for handling your unfounded nastiness with class.

hassler - I feel your pain. My parents have a 40 acre ranch in CA with 2 producing wells & people often don't want to look at their property because they're afraid of not having access to public water. It took finding a new agent who knows how to market this type of property to get more traffic. Now that they have a new agent & have published more info on the wells & the cost to run/maintain them, they went from having 6 people last year to having 5 visits in the last 2 months. They have also had 2 buyers return for 2nd & even a third visit. Hang in there & good luck!
Flag Thu May 30, 2013
I have it on the market with a realtor. I am very unhappy with results. I am trying to get facts and answers to some questions this week as we are getting rid of our agent and hiring a new one. I just thought I should have more information before hiring a new agent. Any insights would be helpful.
Flag Tue May 28, 2013