Srthurumella, Home Buyer in 07751

I am about to buy a single family home in Morganville,07751. We really like the house but there is a 10' drainage easement in the back yard.

Asked by Srthurumella, 07751 Sun Apr 22, 2012

Issues? I am about to buy a single family home in Morganville,07751. We really like the house, but there is a 10' drainage easement in the back yard. Along with 10' drainage easement, it also has a drainage basin for water to flow down. Any other issues other than not able to build a permanent construction. Does it decrease the home value? Can any one please advise me if its a right decision to go ahead or not??

Answers

5
Francesca Patrizio’s answer
SR,

Here are some suggestions.

(1) Discuss the matter with your buyers agent
(2) Discuss the matter with your attorney and make sure you order your own survey (which I am assuming you may have already done.
(3) Interview the neighbors, they can hold a plethora of information; and in my view most importantly
(4) Go to the township (or ask your buyer's agent to do so) to determine their position and/or there are any past permit or report issues regarding issues with this basin.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate, ePro
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931
Any questions you have in your mind about purchasing the home, the next buyer would have too. Some concerns are the looks of the basin, mosquitos, and would it be a danger to your children. Ultimately it is your decision if you like the home enough to purchase it. Remember there is no perfect home . . . most times there is something that buyers have to compromise on! The questions is, can you live with it!
I have storm drain easement on my property as well.
It goes along the right side of my property.
I have a temp shed over it.

I didn't think twice about it when I bought the home and it has not presented any issues.

However, you are concerned about it as a Buyer.
When you sell, others may also wonder.
That may effectthe price.

Things to consider:
Is the drainage basin unsightly?
Does it fill often.
Does it look like it might attract bugs?
An all too common practice with town today, has been to require builders and developers to take on the cost of resolving drainage issues for the towns. This is done by requiring the builder to added depressed troughs and basins to reduce the amount of water that ponds on streets.

A 10' drain easement will prevent you from doing anything that would disturb the flow of water to the basin. If you have plenty of remaining property for expanding, should that be the future plans, then it's would be of no real concern. Should new water drains piping be planned on your street, in the coming future, then you may be able to remove the easement through the town's planning and zoning boards. You would have to argue the point of the easement became obsolete once a better system was put in place.

Since, an easement could be a negative, to full enjoyment of the property, I would suggest presenting a reduced offer on the premise of restricted use.

Without knowing the exact property in question, I can only offer a limited number of suggestions. But, you get the idea.
If the easment is not going to hinder any of your future plans by being the way of an area you wish to develop: example will it be in the way of a shed, pool, childrens play area, etc. and you say you really like the house, then go for it, easements are in properties all around us & they are there to serve a purpose, as well as the basins. So as long as you can live with it , its not an eyesore to you or your family say, then I would suggest (my own opinion) you go for it. If you feel that you cannot, then thats your perrogative.

Good Luck !