Andrea, Other/Just Looking in 19143

I am a hopeful first time homebuyer, torn between purchasing soon in Philly or later - my career could move me

Asked by Andrea, 19143 Fri Jan 2, 2009

I rent in Philadelphia but would like to settle down in the Middletown/ New Haven area of CT. Further, I am a grad student with 1 year's study left to go before I would be leaving my current job for something much more lucrative. How can I best prepare in the coming year to purchase a home out of state? Lukily, my credit union (Philadelphia Federal) will follow me for life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

2
If you would like to follow the market here in Central CT - you can sign up for automated emails that will show you new listings, price reductions and sold prices when they finally sell. That could potentially help you from a cost stand point in deciding to move here.

The best way to prepare to purchase a home is to follow the market of where you want to buy and bank some cash! That way you have an understanding of value in the area, and you also have the cash for a nice down payment.

You should also probably contact a mortgage person now to make sure you don't have anything crazy going on with your credit, just so you can feel re-assured that you are good to go. (Sometimes problems can take months to fix)

If you need the name of a good mortgage person contact me, and if you want to sign up for Emailed listings, just go to my website and click "Get Select New Listings by Email"

Thanks and good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.carlguild.com
Andrea, This may sound like a Trulia spam, but I would suggest checking in and reading through the Q&A here at Trulia. You will see discussion of many of the issues involved in buying and selling, opinions on the market and debate on just about everything. Add to that the many links and information provided this is a great place to watch and learn...Join in and ask some questions or give answers about anything you have an interest in. Discussion, questions, opinions and information are freely exchanged here.

Best, Dunes