Sgiff2000, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I am a general contractor who would like to expand into home inspections.

Asked by Sgiff2000, San Francisco, CA Thu Nov 8, 2012

I am trying to figure out if this is acceptable. I just know I would enjoy doing inspections and getting the proper training. I would offer suggestions and my card. As an honest person I don't see a problem with it but I don't know if there is some stigma against this. I also am BPI certified and my business conducts a lot of energy audits that we end up doing a lot of work through Such as energy retrofitting and building performance remodeling. Is this the same or completely different?

Answers

4
Get ASHI credientials. Work or train with a well regarded inspector, or company. There are a handful of go to inspectors everyone always calls-- there are lots of good reasons why... Or to train for free or offer buy into their company. Fastest way to success. And of course, sdont work on homes you inspect.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 8, 2012
Many of my home inspectors I work with are or use to be general contractors. If your thinking about getting leads for jobs by being the inspector for the home during a sale, this is a conflict of interest. A home inspector can not perform the work they found during a inspection, the only party that can do this is the pest inspector. Hope I cleared this up about the stigma on giving them your contractors business card after a home inspection. You would have to separate the two some how or do one or the other.
I use a company called BAD DOG South in Florida - they provide estimates with every inspection - I can use them to correct if the customer chooses!
Web Reference: http://www.garyyoungman.com
Can't do that in California. It's a conflict.
Flag Thu Oct 2, 2014
Hi, It can be a conflict of interest mixing general contracting with home inspecting. There was recently an arfticle posted about avoiding home inspectors that are also general contractors. It would have to be your call, be clear on the laws as well.

Chris