Susan D. Kee…, Home Buyer in Johnson City, TN

I am a future buyer and narrowed the search down to the Osprey area. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of Southbay versus South Creek?

Asked by Susan D. Keefer, Johnson City, TN Sat Jul 21, 2012

Answers

6
Me’s answer
Hello Susan,
In the event that you may still be looking for a home in Southbay, we have lived here for 19 years and never regretted it. We would be glad to give you our insights if you still need information.
Mary

John J. Geldi, Jr., and Mary C. Geldi, Realtors
Geldi Mercier Team
Diamond Oceanside Realty, Inc.
7222 S. Tamiami Trail, #101, Sarasota, FL 34231
(941) 918-0742 office
Mary: (941) 587-4026 cell mary@SarasotaManateeRealEstate.com
Jack: (941) 587-3973 cell jack@SarasotaManateeRealEstate.com
http://www.SarasotaManateeRealEstate.com
I found a property at 452 South Creek Drive that has an HOA fee of $675 Annually. I found another property at 203 Sea Anchor Drive in the Southbay Y & R that has an HOA fee of $357 per quarter.

The better answer you would get is in contacting the president of the Home Owners Association (HOA). It is not necessarily what you pay for an HOA fee, but what they do for you with the money you pay. Most people want to enjoy their home and not spend every week-end, mowing grass, blowing leaves and clippings from their walks and driveways, trimming palm trees and not spending many hours of labor in landscaping their property. Most HOA's are contracted with firms that take care of all those things for the price of your HOA fees.

Ron Gerdes, Realtor
Exit King Realty
http://RonGerdes.exitkingrealty.com
I live in osprey and have sold in Southbay you can call me with any questions 941-914-5191
Susan, Its attorney Laurel Farrell. Please call me at the office 423-928-8321.
Hi Susan!

I am not a realtor, but I know both areas you are interested in (you have great taste- they are both beautiful!) I moved here 8 months ago, and have been renting in Southbay since then, but looked at homes to buy in both Southbay and South Creek.

It depends on what you want. SB is much larger- just over 300 homes. SB is not gated, SC is gated at night. SB has a private, and very affordable, marina-- I do not think SC does. SB has lots going on--several different groups activities, clubs, events, etc. I haven't participated in any yet- but nice to have as an option. As you drive through SB you will see lots of people out walking dogs, running, riding bikes, etc. Lots of children too. SB used to be exclusively an older population, but not any more. SC seems to be much more quiet, sleepy. They may indeed have social activities but its more secluded and quiet- just a different vibe. (Still beautiful though.)

SB stands out to me because of the activity, and also because of the clubhouse/marina area. I'm sure you've seen the pictures-- it's stunning. Clubhouse has a large room upstairs you can rent, updated kitchen area for all to use downstairs, card/TV room, lending library, gym, sauna, etc. Fantastic pool area. Really, really nice. I know that SC does not have a community pool, and I'm pretty sure there's no clubhouse either.

I went to a yard sale in SC a few weeks ago and spoke with a woman who is very happy there. But at my second stop, I met a man who joked that no one knows anyone-- they all keep to themselves.
Personally, I preferred Southbay... Incredible neighbors, amazing new friends. We just closed on our house a few weeks ago.

Hope this helped! Good luck to you!
You're welcome!
I am so sorry for your loss, but I know you will love Southbay. And so will your 2 babies! There are dogs everywhere! Houses always pop up, just a matter of budget. And that can vary SO much! There's a cute one on the market right now for 299 (no pool but very nice location) and others for millions...
Good luck with the sale of your home, and hopefully we will see you soon!
~Stacey
Flag Tue Aug 7, 2012
Hey Stacey!
Thanks for the great information. Haven't sold my house yet but it is right on a lake with a boat lift, so it shouldn't take too long. South Bay sounds best for me. I recently lost my husband, so it will just me and my two golden retrievers moving down. SB has the activities, the boating, the variety of ages and only 15 minutes to all the art and action in Sarasota. Just hope there will be houses for sale when I get there.
Again, thank you so much Stacey!
Susan
Flag Sat Jul 28, 2012
I think Southbay has a little bit more going on with the community association versus south Creek
They have water arobics and the ladies do things together and it seams like a very sociable area
of people if you enjoy company. If you would like to explore the 2 communities further please
give me a call
Vicki Webb
941-928-1000
Coldwell Banker