Home Buying in Hamilton>Question Details

Kris, Home Buyer in Hamilton, NJ

I am a US citizen who is married to an illegal alien, I am in the process of buying a house, I have financing in place soley under my income, would

Asked by Kris, Hamilton, NJ Mon Apr 19, 2010

his illegal status interfere with my home purchase and how do I go about the contract and deed signing, does he need to sign or can I do this completely on my own/

Help the community by answering this question:


If you can qualify to buy a home on your own, do so.

however, in some states, it is required that when a married person buys property alone, the souse needs to sign off on the purchase, typically through a quit claim deed.

But you may want to check with your attorney to see how you can get this done under the circumstances.

On another note, since you are married to an illegal alien, are you also consulting an immigration attorney to petition for a change in his status?

Good luck to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 20, 2013
Hi Kris,

In NJ you are not require to have your spouse's signature to purchase a house however if it is your marital home you will need both signatures to resell. Also, unless you have a reason for not filing you can obtain all the information for concurrent filling of Form I-485 and Form I-130 to obtain permanent residence for your husband. As a U.S. Citizen it will only take you about a year to complete assuming you send all the required paperwork in a timely fashion. I know cause I just went through it for my husband without the help of a lawyer. Check out http://www.uscis.gov/ for more info on that. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Saida Jeudy, MBA, Realtor
Keller Williams Princeton Real Estate
(609) 310-1463
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 20, 2013

In Ohio, a spouse must sign off on the Mortgage, even tough he or she has no relationship with the purchase, lender, seller, etc. So, if NJ has a similar rule, then your spouse would need to sign.

I agree with the other responses that you need to contact an immigration attorney to try to attempt your spouse's illegal alien status.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 19, 2010
Hi Kris,

If you qualify on your own, than stay on your own. The Banks will not allow an illegal alien on an Federal papers (The Note, Deed, or Deed of Trust).

Please verify all advise you get through an Immigration Attorney.

Best of Luck! -Pat
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 19, 2010
Hi Kris,

You need advice from an immigration lawyer or expert, not a realtor. You have to forgive my ignorance, but if the two of you are married and you are a US citizen, shouldn't he be automatically be eligible for a green card? At least that's how it was when I arrived here in the US and I hope it is as easy to solve for the two of you as well.

Good luck,

Jacobus "Jack" Vollenberg
RE Appraiser - Vollenberg Appraisers
Realtor/REO Asset Manager
Bridgewater Realty
Office (908) 968-0336
Cell (973) 590-0142
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 19, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer