claire.w.adam, Home Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

I am a US citizen living abroad. My husband and I are looking at purchasing our first home in sugarhouse or Holladay while still out of the country.

Asked by claire.w.adam, Salt Lake City, UT Sat Feb 22, 2014

We are wondering if there are any agents or mortgage lenders that are familiar with this situation and help us in the process

Answers

13
Hi Clair,
I am a local realtor here in Salt Lake City. I specialize in the northeast area of Salt Lake including the Holladay and Sugar House areas. Contact me and we can discuss your needs and the market.

Brian Clinger, Realtor, GRI
8018640899 Mobile
brian.clinger@utahhomes.com
http://www.utahhomes.com/brian.clinger
Coldwell Banker-Salt Lake

Here are two great lender contacts
Devin Oakeson
8017064496
devin@vfund.com
Veritas Funding

Brian Evans
8015414850
brian.a.evans@wellsfargo.com
Wells Fargo
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 22, 2014
Dear Claire W. Adam,
My name is Karl-Heinz F. Koenig and I was born abroad and have sold homes to over 1,000 individuals and families here is Salt Lake City. I have sold many homes, sight-unseen, and all have loved their homes. Yesterday, I returned home, after driving a moving truck for a Japanese client and spending a few days in Las Vegas with him. I sold three commercial properties for him last year and all were CASH sales and on two of them, I got him more than he asked for! He recently viewed about 500 homes online in Las Vegas and asked that I line up an aggressive Realtor in Las Vegas, which I did. The home that he chose was a palatial two story home surrounded by 7 foot walls and an automatic double gated entry, with an amazingly professional landscaped yard that even had a pool with an attached spa, water feature and slide. Lenore, a successful agent with Universal Realty, was terrific to work with and most cooperative in our communications. She even has a marvelous designer background and we made an offer for just over the full asking price. Prior to closing we asked her to request a lower price, based upon the appraisal, which she did, and we closed for $680,0000. Yes, she is also most attractive. The home next door was asking $2 million with .97 acre and 12,000 sq. ft. and just closed for $1.8 million on December 20th of last year. Now we are selling a Salt Lake home that he owns for $888,000.00 with 8448 sq.ft. and have developed another friendship for life. :-) Karl-Heinz Friedrich Koenig born in Germany, love living in Salt Lake City. Text 801-298-1234 (24/7) UtahRealtorKing@gmail.com I have sold many homes sight-unseen and emailed a video of a home to a Phillips Petroleum refinery manager, who closed in only three days after offer acceptance. Several years later I sold that same house to a referral, who was moving from Michigan and still enjoys living there today. He was head of Utah Dept. of Corrections. Whether from Vietnam, Germany, China,, Japan or Greece, I love dealing with International and local clientele and have been an active Utah Realtor for over forty (40) years! UtahTopNegotiator.com
Hi Claire,
This can be a tricky situation.... especially as a first time home buyer. You will be putting a lot of trust into your agent to find you a home that fits your needs. Do you have any friends or family that will be able to view properties and give you feedback? I have helped several clients find homes sight unseen... but have provided several videos, pictures, and friends/family opinions in order for my client to make a educated decision on what/where they purchase. I would recommend interviewing a few agents to see which one you connect with best and how they are setup to best help you find your first home.

Feel free to message me with any questions or if you need help selecting a lender to help. A good lender is just as important of a step as a good agent.

Best of luck, and I am always available to answer any questions or concerns.

Daimon Bushi
801-859-8566
http://www.uthomes4you.com
Web Reference: http://www.uthomes4you.com
Lots of real estate agents NO mortgage brokers.
THAT is the real problem.
"Out of country" employer is not a real good thing for lenders.
Hey Claire,

I don't want to be seen as a contrarian, but I don't agree with most of the advice you've received from others here. Sugarhouse and Holladay are two very different locations, even though they are in close proximity to each other. Properties in the Sugarhouse area are unique and sell very quickly. The community is different, the mentality is different and the lifestyle is also than the Holladay area.

What you need to do is narrow down what you really want, what you are willing to pay for it - and then decide what to do. The hardest part is - unless you have time to come and see the properties, you will be doing the buying site unseen, which can be risky and a nightmare if not done right. This means you will need to rely a lot on your Realtor and any friends/family you might have in the area to help you decide on a property (I know because I've been down this road before). If I can help, I'm happy to do so. No matter who you choose to help you find a property, make sure they know what they are doing and not just trying to sell you.
Hi Claire
I don't think you will have any problems finding a home in Sugarhouse while abroad. You can sign everything electronically and qualify for your loan through a local lender with email and fax. As far as finding a home, good communication with the realtor about what you specifically are looking for and trust in your realtor will go a long way. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you or help with your quest. Thanks Tair
Hi Claire,

Justin Coleman is a really good person to contact for the mortgage questions that need to be addressed.
I would love to assist you in finding the perfect home. Please feel free to use my website search at http://www.Pat.ExitRealtyPlusUtah.com
I utilize a paperless system that allows you to e-sign paperwork while you are out of the country. My cell is 801-541-2189

Pat
Associate Broker
EXIT Realty Plus
Hi Claire,

You are right in thinking that your circumstances require specific knowledge outside of the standard real estate transaction. There are many things to be considered that would determine the right course of action for you.

I'd love to take a few minutes to talk with you either by phone or by skype/facetime. Call or text my cell at 801.759.1775 and we can get you headed in the right direction!

Wendy Starling
Starling Real Estate
Wendy@starlingrealestate.com
801.759.1775
Claire,

There are many ways to accomplish this scenario however, many questions need to be answered before the proper guidance can be given.

Please give me a call when you have a moment. 10 minutes should be all it would take to ascertain the situation and guide you properly going forward.

As it is the weekend, here is my cell - 801-759-7252

Justin Coleman
Security National Mortgage Corp.
NMLS#283650
justin@justin-coleman.com
You can view homes in the Sugar house area by visiting Viewutahhomes.com promo Trent or my site at trentonjensen.com. You are also welcome to call me at 801-815-3331 and I am happy to answer any questions.
I have helped people in our military purchase while being stationed out of the country. All things are possible with the right guidance. How soon will you occupy the property? Or will you? Will you try to rent it out? Maybe purchasing a property with a tenant already in it? How much down do you have? It looks like you may not occupy the property for a while, and that would specify some type of non-owner occupant financing which requires a larger down payment and sometimes you will take a hit on the interest rate as well depending on credit.

Feel free to contact me by phone or email to discuss your needs and see if I'm the right person to help you.

Dan Walker - Walker Realty
801-288-2260 - dan@athomeutah.com
http://www.AtHomeUtah.com
http://www.GatedSaltLake.com
You would not be able to use a regular owner occupied mortgage unless you use a conventional product as a second home, if you are truly going to use it as a second home.

If the plan is to rent it out until you return do not try to call it ANYTHING but an investment property. Do not let any loan officer convince you it is okay to call a rental property an owner occupied for the purpose of getting a loan. That is a serious crime and not only is the lender supposed to take action, so could the feds. You may not want to come back when you find out the penalty for that bad boy.

Now, can it be done? Absolutely, but call it what it is, because it is what it is, and there will be a very distinct paper trail. Be safe.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
I answer questions about financing real estate based on my decades of experience dealing with mortgage underwriters. This answer is my personal opinion, has not been reviewed or approved by the company I work for. I do not offer legal or tax advice, if you need answers from an attorney or CPA find one knowledgeable in your local market.
Web Reference: http://jamessimms.com/
Hi Claire,

Try Chris Hazelwood at http://www.purchaseapplication.com. You will be able to find all his contact info there. may also be able to refer you an agent in the area.

Kirsten Wellborn
Garrett Realty
404-867-5662
I sold my Sister's home while she lived in Korea. Contracts can all be scanned and sent via Internet . You can even get someone you trust to be a power of attorney for you. But the problem with choosing a home, pictures never tell the truth. Best of Luck.
Flag Sun Mar 2, 2014