Home Buying in 30326>Question Details

FirstTimeATL…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I am a Canadian citizen looking to purchase my first home. I've lived in GA for 5 years and pay federal and state income taxes.

Asked by FirstTimeATLbuyer, Atlanta, GA Tue Feb 9, 2010

I am currently on a H1B visa working full time. Will I qualify for the first-time home buyer credit?

Help the community by answering this question:


I would be happy to show you around the areas and help you find the right house for your family.
We could set up an appointment to find out all of your wants and needs…then start the house hunt!
Look forward to speaking with you!

Kiki Jackson
Keller Williams Realty Peachtree Rd.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 7, 2015
Are you planning on making another move anytime soon?

Adrian Provost
Provost International Realty
3348 Peachtree Road NE Atlanta GA 30326 Suite 700
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 5, 2013
Yes, you certainly would qualify, but you needed to be under contract by April 30th, or, be a US Veteran. I would love to help you with your home financing....

Warm regards,
Kim Jones
Brand Mortgage
3328 Peachtree Road
Suite 200
Atlanta, Ga. 30326
Cell: 678.468.4046
eFax: 678.518.6917
Please Visit: http://kdjones.brandmortgage.com
Web Reference: http://www.kimdjones.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 12, 2010
You would qualify for the first time home buyer credit. You will need to be under contract by April 30 2010 and Closed by June 30, 2010. I recommend that you do not go the short sale route, as it is time consuming and you do not want to miss your deadlines. Should you before 4/15 you can file your HUD-1 and get your tax credit in this year, or you can file an amended return for this year, otherwise you would file your HUD-1 with your 2010 tax return.

If I may be of any further assistance to your in your transaction, please don't hesitate to call me. Home buying especially the first time, is a major event in your life, and I would be more than happy to send you some info to educate yourself in the process.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 27, 2010
Hi there,

Yes, you should qualify for the First TIme Homebuyer Tax Credit. Of course you should check with your accountant just to make sure!

In regards to the H1B Visa...Have you applied for your Green Card yet and do you have at least 4 tradelines with at least 24 months reporting? These are usually the questions asked by the mortgage loan officer. If you need to be pre-qualified for a mortgage, call Marc D'Angelo with SunTrust at 404-925-8291.

Call or email me with any questions,

Lisa Allen, REALTOR
Prudential Georgia Realty
**Short Sale Specialist
**Buyer Foreclosure Specialist

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
It is my understanding if you file taxes and you have not owned a home withi the past three years your would qualify. You should consult a CPA.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
I have made some enquiry concerning your request. I am sure we can work on this together.
See below for Answer............ What my Loan Specialist Have to say... Work with someone who knows how it works. Let me know aaron.mtuanwi@gmail.com or Aaron Mtuanwi @ 678-499-6065.
"He will be considered a resident alien for tax purposes and should be able to claim the Homebuyers Tax Credit. How long does he have on his H1B visa before it expires, and what is in place for his resident status when it does expire?"
Best regards,
Korge Twum-Barima
Mortgage Consultant
Home Renovation Loan Specialist
o 678.388-5516 │ c 404.444.6735 │ f 770.783.8374 │ e korge.barima@wjbradley.com
Apply online http://www.korgeandcompany.com
11605 Haynes Bridge Road, Suite 125
Alpharetta, GA 30009
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for all the help! It is much appreciated.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
Sorry, Ed, must have had a senior moment as I did not remember asking a question. Were we making a living interpreting the IRS rules and regulations and giving tax advice, I would have offered a definite answer. Again, my guess is, unless he is considered a nonresident alien under current guidelines, he would qualify. But he should still verify it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
Your most accurate answer would come from http://www.irs.gov. However, as far as I can tell, being a tax-paying resident alien would not disqualify you from the income tax credit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
Not being a tax professional, FTATL, I can only proffer a guess here. Searching the IRS link provided, it appears "you are barred from claiming the credit if you are a nonresident alien" so if you have someone doing your taxes, please call and verify.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
I will not need a lender as I plan on doing an all-cash purchase. Just wanted to know if I would be eligible for the tax credit on a working visa.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
Very possibly, FTATL. Here are a couple of links that may prove helpful. If you will call or email one of our preferred lenders below, they should be able to pre-qualify you for a mortgage. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond



Jay Posey
Your Mortgage Advisor
PHH Mortgage, Inc
Phone: 404-992-5462
E-mail: Jay.Posey@mortgagefamily.com

Chuck Ewing
Senior Mortgage Planner
Community Mortgage Services
Phone: 770-241-1700
Fax: 678-623-0960
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
Do you have a work permit and US credit?
I am a loan officer with Sun trust.
Kevin Ramirez
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer