Pamela Tripa…, Home Seller in Las Vegas, NV

I agreed with the landlord to clean the apartment before move in, what should I do if the day that my lease start he didn't do it?

Asked by Pamela Tripano, Las Vegas, NV Fri Aug 30, 2013

Answers

4
Pamela,

Be careful not to damage your relationship with your landlord, as you will be working with him/her for the remainder for your rental period. I suggest first reaching out to them to explain that they were obligated to take care of the initial cleaning of the apartment. Ask them if they can promptly have someone come and clean the apartment, or offer to hire a cleaning service and direct the bill to your landlord. Hopefully this helps!
Pamela:

This seems very simple to resolve!

By now; almost 9 moths later - hopefully the place was cleaned and ready for move-in.

Typically- a landlord or property manager makes the apartment or home clean and ready for move-in for the incoming tenant prior to them taking occupancy.

In some cases- the new tenant agrees to handle the clean-up in exchange for the cost or credit to complete the needed clean-up or repairs.
Yes, talk to your landlord first.
If that does not help - write to him/her with return receipt delivery.
Tell the landlord that he promised, and if he does not clean up, you will
have to hire a professional cleaning company and subtract it from your rent next month.
However, I would not go that far. If the letter does not work (no action), I'd consult an attorney.

Hope this was helpful,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Hi Pamela,

It can be best addressed by an open, straightforward, diplomatic and honest communication with the landlord.

If you have a problem or a hesitant getting this resolved with your landlord, how would you resolve future problems with the house?

Best of Luck.