LIDIA, Home Buyer in 07657

I actually only made one offer. I was under the impression that the owner is supposed to sign something

Asked by LIDIA, 07657 Mon Jun 30, 2008

letting me know that he did not accept my offer but basically acknowledging that he did get it? He does not think it is worth for me to be looking at a house that is over my buget by $20-$30k. How does he know that the seller is not going to take less? Most of homes are not his listings. I have been studying the market for over a year. My feeling his that it does not hurt to try.

Answers

6
Nivea,

You can request that the seller give you a written signed response thru their agent if you are concerned that your offer is not being presented. I do not know your market so I cannot say whether a seller would actually accept $20k-$30k less their asking price. The home may already reduced by $20k-$30k. Sounds like you need to have a heart -to-heart conversation with your agent.

Jeremy S. Hill, Realtor Associate
http://www.southnewjerseyhomes.com
1814 Route 70 East
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003
Office: 856.685.1651
Fax: 856.321.1414
Direct: 609.876.5817
"Your Interest 1st Always!"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey does not require written notice that an offer has not been accepted. But it is in the agents best interest and yours that they do so. That is the only way you'll know if it's been presented. If your agent refuses to do so, fire her/him, hire somebody else. You make the call!
Every offer I present asks for the seller to sign for acceptance, make changes and initial or reject, with a simple singature on the cover page...next to the word rejected. All signatures or initials are dated.
Dear Nives,
In our market ( I work in Bergen County where you are located) usually the seller only will sign an offer if it is accepted. This is usually after negotiations are completed. Your agent should have been speaking with the seller's agent and providing you with the information for you. If you have any doubts that your offer was presented, or how it was presented, call and ask to speak to the office manager, and discuss your concerns with them. They will be able to provide you with solid answers.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me through my website.

Sharon Kozinn
Web Reference: http://sharonkozinn.com
Usually the owner signs an offer only if he accepts it. You need to have an agent that you can trust so that you do not have to wonder if it has been presented or not. In most cases the offer has been presented and not accepted, sometimes the owner counter offers to your offer or just feels that it is so low that you need to present a new offer, this should be explained to you so you need to know what to expect.
The best way to deal with this is like earlier was mentionned to ask the agent to present the offer in person as we have the right to do but sometimes the owner and the other realtor will try to avid this and waste time so they can get it in writing. If you really like the house you need to continue to negotiate or move on to another property. Sometimes a seller has a figure in his mind and will not let the house go unless he gets that no matter what the market is. Some owners realize the conditions and notice that it is better to take this now because in the long run it may cost me more time and money. Good luck and feel free to contact me for any advise. mia@villonrealty.com.
The seller doesnt have to respond to your offer though usually their agent will have a response even if it is a full list counter or indication that they are negotiating on other "better" offers (this only after being instructed to do so by seller) The amount over your budget is likely more important when that amount is a significant percentage of the sale price. If your agent is reluctant to make offers on your behalf that you can meet, get a new agent.
Hi Nivea, you are righ that it never hurts to try! I am a bit confused on who the players are in your description - did you draw up your offer in writing with the assistance of an agent?

It sounds as if the seller does not see an acceptable meeting ground between your offer and his price and as a result is not responding to your offer. When I present an offer I always try to do that in person, but if I do not have the opportunity to do so, then I routinely include an acknowledgement to be signed by the seller as proof that he did receive the offer. You can ask for a written acknowledgement - by law, a written offer must be presented.

If I can be of help to you, I am here. If you are working with an agent, then collect your thoughts and if you like this house, consider establishing a new starting point for your offer that might cause the seller to respond. As I said in my earlier response, a good pricing analysis could be most helpful here. You agent can help you with that. If you are not working with an agent, then do contact me.

Jeannie Feenick
Weichert Realtors
Search and connect at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com