Home Buying in Rocky Hill>Question Details

depriestloui…, Home Buyer in Rocky Hill, CT

I'M buying a home, do I get out of my rental lease ?

Asked by depriestlouise, Rocky Hill, CT Sun Dec 9, 2012

Answers

4
Hi. You should start looking for a home before you get out of your rental lease. When is your lease up for renewal? I would love to further discuss this with you. You can reach me at 860-966-0569.

Josie
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
My lease is up in October of 2013, Im under contract of a house now, closing was supposed to be Dec 31st, it was set back due to a bad inspection. things need to be done before I purchace the home.
Flag Sun Dec 9, 2012
It depends on your situation. If you just started looking, I would hold out and review your lease to see if you are allowed to give them a notice. If you have found a house and are under contract then you should definately review your lease and talk to the management company or landlord. Most people understand and just want a 30-60 day notice so that they are able to have enough time to find a new tenant.

If you have any questions about the home buying process, I would love to talk to you. Feel free to call me anytime at 860-368-8383.

Jessica Tracy
CG Real Estate
If you are on a month to month lease, the time period to notify your landlord is 30 or more days that you will be moving. If you are locked in a lease, your best option is to coordinate your closing date 30 days prior to the expiration of your lease. Read your lease line by line and talk to your landlord. You may be able to sub-lease if it is allowed if you cannot get out of your lease, but remember, in subleasing you are still responsible to your landlord.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Hi Louise,

Well, the short answer is that it depends. What does your lease say? If it doesn't address your potential of buying a property, your lease remains in effect until the end.

Otherwise, your landlord may let you out of your lease with some kind of notice, like 30 or 60 days.

Best of luck,
Lisa

P.S. If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to contact me.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012