Julie R, Real Estate Pro in 24015

I BOUGHT A FORCLOSED HOUSE FOR CASH TO REMODEL AND SELL. THE BANKS HAS NOT RECORDED DEED AT RECORDER. WHAT ARE MY LEGAL OPTIONS. I'M GETTING

Asked by Julie R, 24015 Tue Jul 5, 2011

NOWHERE

Answers

5
Julie,
Out here on the left coast,
1.) the Banks do not record a deed, they aren't even interfacing with anyone on this.
2.) the Title Company is responsible for sending the documents to the County Recorder, and
3.) that process can take 4-10 weeks depending on how busy everyone is.

I would not suggest suing the County Recorder and the Bank is probably going to ignore you.

good luck and may God bless
call the settlement company or attorney who did your deed and closing..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 23, 2012
In Virginia title company's are typically used as well (or at least they have been on all of my purchases, it's not exactly an attorney state). I'd contact the title company that handled the closing and ask what they know about recording the deed. I admit I am not sure who would record the deed in Virginia, the title company or the bank who was selling the property, but I imagine that the title company had a signed deed by them at closing and it just may be a matter of calling them up and ask if they can expedite it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 5, 2011
Whomever handled the closing (atty or title company) should have recorded the deed and any deed of trust (but you pd cs) promptly. If a lien gets filed ahead of that recording process because of delays by the closer, all hell will break loose. The 4-10 weeks one of the out of staters mentions below is nonsense, for VA, anyway--it doesn't happen like that. If you had a loan on the property as part of the purchase, I assure you that bank, etc, would have made sure recording occurred promptly. I'm not talking about the selling bank. I mean the lender bank, if you had one. Go to the clerk's office and check the records for yourself. Look for your name as you were to take title under the "Grantee index". This all sounds very fishy.

BTW, if you tried to do this all without some sort of closing vendor, atty or title company, etc, you are, frankly, nuts.
Since you are asking a legal question, it's in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate; he/she can best advise as to your options...