Home Buying in Naples>Question Details

Karen, Home Buyer in Naples, FL

Asked by Karen, Naples, FL Wed Apr 21, 2010

We are UK cash buyers looking to buy a Condo in Naples, Fl - probably sometime between now and Christmas - price in the region of $150,000 (perhaps a little more for the right home). We know Naples very well, but wondered if there was a TOP 10 LIST of the best communities to live in. We are undecided whether or not to buy in a golfing community or not - we quie like the idea of a clubhouse, restaurant and gym onsite etc. We would need to be able to rent to family and friends occasionally and would wish to avoid high HOA fees etc. This would be a holiday home for us in the short term - in the longer term we wouldbe spend 6 months in Naples holiday home and 6 months in the UK. I'd be grateful for any recommendations for best buys in golfing and non-golfing communities. I assume also that bundled golf is more cost effective than equity golf? Many thanks in advance for any advice received from you lovely helpful Naples people!

There are many great communities in Naples, Florida. I doubt a list of the top ten communities exists, because that list would be subjective to personal criteria.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 1, 2010
I suggest you discuss this with one of my associates who is from the UK, is a licensed Florida Broker, and can give you good ideas and help you make an informed decision. Kathy's website is http://www.buyingpropertiesinflorida.com and her email is britishnaples@hotmail.com . Kathy will call you if you email your contact information.
Web Reference: http://www.johnkrol.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 3, 2010
Probably the best website to search different communities around Naples can be found at http://www.NaplesArea.com. I agree with Ken that Lely offers a wide choice of amenties and terrific golf courses. There is also a condo/hotel community in Lely called Greenlinks. You can put your condo in their resort rental pool and earn income from your condo.

There are many things to consider when a non-resident buys property in the States. Buying the property is the easy part. Survivorship, estate taxes, income taxes, and liability when you rent are just some of the things you need to consider before you take ownership. There is also a way you can lock in a favorable exchange rate for your British Pounds for up to six months which could save you thousand$$ when you purchase. I'll gladly share some helpful resources on buying real estate in the states.

Finally, here are two things about buying real estate here that are different than in the UK:
1) I can work exclusively as your agent, so you don't need to look on every brokers website. I have access to all of them and I can send you the same access so you can search on your own. Send me an email or give me a call and I can explain your options.
2) There is no "chain" of ownership in the states. When you are ready to buy, we make an offer, and if it is accepted you can own the home within a few weeks.

Send me an email and I will reply with the listings in my Top Ten list for you. I have to do some research on the condo fees to put a list together.

john@ccapturenaples.com (239) 776-0539

John R. Fee
Keller Williams Elite Realty
24851 S. Tamiami Tr. Suite 1
Bonita Springs, FL 34134
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 21, 2010
Hello Karen,
If you are looking for a Golf Community, Lely is just great. Lely is offering new pre construction condos for sale in your price range. Some other amenities include Three golf courses are available, one of which is private, resort style Club House and many more amenities This Community is also in an area of U.S. 41 that is currently undergoing new development. Lely is conveniently located with a short 15 min ride to Naples Beach or Marco Island .If you need any more:
FREE INFO please go http://www.marcoislandrealestatemarketreport.com/marketreport/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 21, 2010
Hi Karen--
If you decide to focus on golf communities, check out my exclusive GOLF HOME GURU "Top 25 Southwest Florida Golf Communities" list on my website, http://www.GolfHomeGuru.com. When you get on the Home Page, just click on the "GREAT Guru GOLF Homes" tab in the menu bar...then click on the appropriate page. In the past 9 years, I've sold and listed over-350 homes in over-40 different golf communities, and I've shown homes in an additional 40+ golf communities...so I'm extremely qualified to help you find the golf home/golf community that best fit YOUR personal budget, golfing habits and ability, and family lifestyle.
Feel free to send me an e-mail (Guru@GolfHomeGuru.com) or give me a call (239/438-6426) for answers to your questions about SWFL golf communities!
Joe Morgan
Downing-Frye Realty
Haven't seen a top 10 list but Equity Realty has star ratings and reviews for a lot of communities in Naples here: https://www.equityrealty.com/community-reviews.php
There are so many great communities in Naples, that it would be difficult to say which should be on the TOP TEN LIST. Everyone has their own requirements for the perfect community, so the list would be different for everyone. Take a look at this list of Naples Communities, there are links to most of the popular ones, along with community descriptions, so you can get some more information.
Don't know if you've made your decision or not, but I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo for sale in Royal Wood Golf and Country Club http://(www.royalwoodgcc.com) in your price range. It is a third (top) floor unit with cathedral ceilings and spectacular sunsets over the second tee, 17 th green and a lake. This is a bundled community so equity membership is included in the price of the condo. Annual fees for the Master Association (Golf, Clubhouse w/ full restaurant and lounge, library, exercise room, swiming pool and spa, bocce court and lighted tennis courts, as well as basic cable for the television) is ~ $3800/year and the condo fees for the Condominium (which also has a pool, outdoor grill, tennis court and bocce court) are about $1000/qtr. Royal Wood is financially sound with good reserves and a great golf course. We own two condos and our primary residence are all in Royal Wood. Rentals are allowed. Please contact me for pictures and a listing brochure. Welched@comcast.net
In your request you essentially described what you would like in a community. By selecting a knowledgeable Realtor, they should be able to assist you in finding what you fell is a perfect fit for your holiday use.
I thought I'd give you an answer from a non-agent perspective. I have nothing to sell you, I just have lived in Naples for 3 years. I drive past the Lely Resort every day, and the landscaping seen from Hwy 41 is very pretty! I've always wondered what it would be like to live there. It was under development when the real estate bust hit, so there are new units still for sale, which is probably why so many realtors mentioned it in their answer to you. If the living spaces are as nice as the extensive landscaping you can view from the highway, then it's probably a very nice place to live. But be warned, it's a LONG way from the beach. It would be impossible for almost anyone to walk to the beach from Lely.

I live in a quiet bundled golf community that is in town, far from the interstate and much closer to the beach, ~2.5 miles to the beach and 2 miles to 5th avenue. I walk to the beach each week, but most folks probably would drive it instead. It's called Glades Country club. It's approx 35 years old. I wouldn't describe it as rich & elegant, but there are purchase options available for all levels of income. Some of the homes 3bdrm/2bath with garages, some are 2bd/2ba single-story, and some are 2/2 apartment-style. There are 9 swimming pools (the main one at the clubhouse is larger), plus tennis courts, bocci ball, and 2 bundled golf courses. They do activities during the week such as water aerobics, crafts, bingo, movies, card games, oil painting, golf tournaments, seasonal dinners and parties, yoga... I can't attend most of them because I have a day job. This association really thrives in the winter when all the golf fanatics come to party. The huge majority of owners here are retired, so most of the activities occur in the daytime.

I bought my condo sight unseen when my job transferred me to Naples, and I feel so lucky about my choice. There's a 24/7 drugstore a quarter-mile away, plus grocery / gas / restaurants / Walmart / numerous other stores less than a mile away. All within walking distance, even for old folks. It's perfect for me. There are 2 things I DON'T like: no gym in the clubhouse, and no garage with my condo. My neighbors are great -- everyone here seems to know each other, although I don't know most of them because I work 60+ hours a week and have to travel for my job. Anyway, I feel really lucky I got into this financially stable community (the reserves are fully-funded), and just thought you would like to hear a non-realtor's perspective.

HOA fees are $500 a month. That covers unlimited golf, your structure insurance, water, sewer, garbage, cable & satellite TV, landscaping, half of my internet bill, and access to all the amenities: clubhouse, restaurant, golfing, swimming, tennis, bocce, library, and social activities. The association handles everything which is good since my lifestyle is too busy to pay all those bills.

A year ago you could've purchased some of the places in this association for dirt-cheap, but now there's only a limited selection in your price range. Anyway, good luck, feel free to respond if you have any questions about things around town. You really can't go too wrong living in Naples... it's very clean and very safe here. The two biggies are golf and the beach... try to get a place that has convenient access to both.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 29, 2010
Hello Mindy
I so enjoyed your post! You really could work in the field.
We are making our first exploration to the west coast in a couple weeks.
My wife and I are a few years away from a fill move but are looking into communities.
The. Glades will be one of them.
George Venarchik
Flag Sat Jan 3, 2015
There is no such list but we as agents do have our favorites mostly based on the location, amenities, condo fees etc. you are correct bundled golf is more economical than equity although we do have several public courses. Or your purchase could be in a non-golf community and you could purchase a membership in another community;l there are some very reasonable memberships being offered at this time. Please contact me and let's begin gathering information (239) 564-0384
Top 10 list ? That is funny, around 150K is not gong to allow you to enjoy any of the nicer communities. Golf communities that are most desired come into a higher pric e range, aside from a few older ones or ones right on I-75 with lot's of road noise.

You need some straight forward help with honest in your face answers than feel free to email or call so we can go over a few things before you get some "hand picked" listings sent your way.

Southwest Florida has been my home for the last 26 years. I have grown up entrenched in construction and real estate since 1983, and have a bachelors degree in Finance & Real Estate. Please allow a professional expert in Southwest Florida Real Estate help you today!

Nathan LaCorte
Main: 828-215-5603
Fax: 239-236-0282
Sand Castle Realty
There is not really a top ten list. Everyone has different needs and desires so the top ten for you may not be even of interest for others. As for golf communities, bundled is not always better if you plan to rent. Only some communities allow short term, weekly, rentals. In a bundled community the cost of the golf membership is included in your condo dues making them need be higher.

If you want a nice club house and available golf I think Lely Resort is unbeatable. I am partial as I live in Lely but the ammenities relative to the fees are great and there are public and private golf options.

If you send little more detail of the size condo, amount of rental flexability you would like etc, I can send you listings to review via email.

I believe your timing is right. Our market appears to have turned the corner. Activity is up and inventory is down which in my opinion indicates market stabilization.

Ken Lowe - Realtor
Prudential Florida Realty
Web Reference: http://www.Ken-Lowe.com
lely is squeezing a condo into every square inch of space available..
Not a nice situation over there...
Flag Sun Aug 2, 2015