Home Buying in Nashua>Question Details

Dave, Other/Just Looking in Nashua, NH

IM TRYING TO FIND OUT MY EXACT LOT SIZE , HOW MUCH ROAD FRONTAGE I HAVE IN FEET. I WANT TO PUT A FENCE UP BUT I DON'T WERE MY PROPERTY ENDS IN

Asked by Dave, Nashua, NH Fri Jul 2, 2010

FRONT

Answers

6
Dave you are going to want to visit the Nashua city hall, make sure you get a copy of the permit applictaion and fence regualtions, you should then visit teh assessors office to get a copy of your tax card where you can pull a copy of your tax map. you can also look at your deed for the addendum that states your lot size. If you do not have a copy of your deed, you can pull it up on NHdeeds.com

I hope this helps
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 5, 2010
You need to have a permit. And, you need to find out the fence regulations from your city hall. Most cities regulate the height, type of fence, etc. I, also, suggest you hire a surveyor. I have a current listing, where the owner wanted to put up a fence to make the home more desirable. I suggested that he hire a surveyor. He said he knew where the property lines where, so that was not necessary. After the fence was installed, the next door neighbor called me to inform me that the fence encroached on her property. She had a survey done. So, my client needed a surveyor. And, yes, his fence encroached on the neighbor's property.
Hi Dave- I work for a fence company and have some answers for you.
It all depends, is the answer. I'd need more info.
With your deed you should also have a small plot plan with that paperwork. It may be old, but it will give you basic offsets from your house corners, etc that you can measure out yourself.

Most people do not get a survey when they are putting up a fence, unless they absolutely have to. Survey will cost you at least $500.

You don't need a permit in most cases. As long as you don't go over 6' in overall height of the fence. Or if its a pool enclosure, then you need a permit for it.

If you need any help, you can contact me directly. Thanks a good luck,
Ken L.
Hi Dave,

Your deed should have a complete description of the property, and in Nashua it should be easy to follow. Normally the description will start at a point that you should be able to find and then run along a road or fence and will go on from there. The county registry of deeds will have plot plans of your property, but might not show enough data to site a fence.

Your fence will likely require a building permit. The town has regulations on fences So get to know what they are before you start. And if you have covenants where you live, you might not be allowed to build one at all. Better to find that out before you buy the materials.

One tip--you can probably put in a hedge even if no fence can be built. This can often achieve the same end result.

Dane Hahn
NH and FL real estate pro
Dave,
In most places, before you put up a fence, you need an up-to-date survey. This is done to prevent encroachment issues arising at a later time. Even if you know the size of your lot, to avoid future problems, get a survey. If you had one done within the past few years, the company that did the survey before will probably give you the best price. Good luck.

Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
(386) 314-1149
Watson Realty Corp.
Dave,
You should be able to access this information at your property appraisers web site. It will have a plat of the property in the tax record.

Debra Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference: http://www.ronanddebbie.net