Home Buying in Hollywood>Question Details

Guido BA, Home Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hurricane Risk: What should I have in mind to minimize risk of propertie damage by a major hurricane? Is it enough to have a good insurance?

Asked by Guido BA, Fort Lauderdale, FL Fri Mar 29, 2013

If you have to worry you should rent
I would be grateful if someone helps me instead of just having ironic fun.
Flag Fri Mar 29, 2013
Hopefully you are asking this before purchasing a home. In that case, BUY AWAY FROM THE COAST. If you already own the home, then keep in mind that good insurance will help you repair and rebuild....but will do nothing to minimize damage.

A. Get a Wind Mitigation Evaluation...it will let you know how secure the roof is attached to the home and if needed how to improve it. The certificate will get you an insurance policy discount for years to come, so this service pays for itself in most cases.

B. Get good hurricane shutters. Find ones that are easy to install and to store, but that continue to be strong. Complicated ones will likely not be installed correctly and that wont help.

C. There will be a separate Hurricane deductible on your insurance policy. Keep that amount in a savings account for emergency use only. Find out if you are near a flood area, get flood insurance...it is relatively cheap.

D. Trim or cut any large trees that may fall against the home and damage it.

E. Make sure your exterior doors swing out, so air pressure will not blow them in.

F. If the electric ever goes out.... NEVER run the emergency electric plant or the cooking grill inside the house or the garage. Many people die every year because of the fumes.

Well, I cannot think of anything else. After 23 years in Florida I have only been in 4 hurricanes and none has been closer than 5 miles of my place. I had to replace the shingles and the wood fence, so can't complain. Was this answer helpful? If so please click on the "green thumbs up" or the "best answer".

Tony Vega
La Rosa Realty
Thank you very much, It was the best answer but I just clicked wrongly in the answer of a sarcastic fool.
Flag Sat Mar 30, 2013
Ciao di nuovo, Guido!

Good insurance, of course, is a must. And if your property is located in a flood zone, the addition of flood insurance is a very good idea!

Beyond that, either good quality hurricane shutters or approved impact windows and doors will help you sleep a lot more easily at night.

When we purchased our own home in Hollywood years ago, the first thing we did was install hurricane shutters. And they have provided peace of mind on many occasions since.

Please let us know if we can be of assistance in your search for the right property. We would love to work with you!

Buona fortuna!
Vivian & Keith Harmeyer
Ace Realty & Investments
(954) 271-0661
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 29, 2013
Hi Guido,
You need to secure yous home with windows/doors/shutters/main roof attachment to the walls, etc up to latested Dade Coundt code for best protection.
As a side benefit, your insurace policy will be cheaper...

Was this answer helpful? If so please click on the "green thumbs up" or the "best answer". Thank YOU!

With enthusiasm,

Meir Aloni & Team

CRS (Certified Residential Specialist)

CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)

RECS (Real Estate Cyberspace Society)

Successfully selling Broward County since 1986!

Direct phone# 954-338-5220 http://www.WeSellBroward.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 29, 2013
Hi, while insurance does help, it doesn't minimize the risk of damage. Trim all trees around the property and convince your neighbors to do the same, pick up all loose items, pool equipment and patio furniture and get rid of all yard debris. Make sure your windows and doors close correctly, you don't want the wind to come into the house and blow your roof off. Install hurricane shutters and what ever else you can afford to safeguard your home against wind damage. I hope this helps.

Hermann Wiehls
Realtor Associate
Atlantic & Pacific Real Estate US LLC
Ph: 954-300-2BUY
Fax: (855) 420-8512
2950 W Cypress Creek Rd. Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309