Question Details

Sylvia Mcelh…, Home Buyer in Tulsa, OK

However, what would happen if I sold the house in May and the realtor gets a sales contract from someone she previously showed the house to?

Asked by Sylvia Mcelhannon, Tulsa, OK Tue Mar 25, 2014

My real estate listing ends April 30 with a 30-day protection period or until May 31. If I was to sell my house myself during the month of May to someone that has not seen the house with a realtor, I don't believe I would owe a commission to the realtor.

Answers

3
If the person you are selling the home has previously viewed the home while it was listed with that agent you might owe them a commission. If they viewed the home after the listing period ended in April 30th, you should not owe them any compensation. But I would read through the contract you signed.
From what I understand you are correct that, there is no commission to be paid...at least in CA. I am not completely sure about OK. In CA the agent needs to give to his/her customer a list of clients that have come to look at the home. If anyone that buys your house found the house through your Realtor, you might owe a commission.
Read the contract. Terms may vary for the hold over period. It could be months not just 30 days. Also, can you show that the buyer did not find the home through an agent or Realtor? How did the buyer find your home? Online? Ad? Does the Buyer have a contract with a Buyers agent? Did that agent give them the information for your home? It can be a tricky situation.