Home Buying in Sunnyvale>Question Details

Bruce, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

How would you rank the areas in Sunnyvale now in terms of cost, value and growth potential (likely related to school districts)?

Asked by Bruce, Fremont, CA Fri Jan 4, 2013

considering small second home < 1 mil (sfh preferred over twnh) strategic to King's Academy, Harker and cupertino schools. will serve as investment home later. How does cost vs potential pan out in the Sunnyvale areas and its vicinity? how have the prices risen the last two yrs?

1. West Valley/Homestead High
2. Ortega Park
3. Cumberland
4. Cherry Chase
5. Nimitz

I live in sunnyvale!
King's Academy is in/near industrial/commercial area. Families with kids usually prefer a more residential area.

However, new home communities at Fusion and 37 Degrees North might help somewhat.

Still that is not as safe a bet as getting a home in a nice neighborhood that is surrounded by other nice neighborhoods.
Forget to add 1 more:

6. Ellis
Hi Bruce,
In terms of growth potential, I would rank the top areas in Sunnyvale in this order:
1. Stocklmeir/Ortega Park
2. West Valley
3. Cherry Chase
4. Cumberland
5. Nimitz

In terms of long term price appreciation, you are MUCH better off getting an old small house in a nice neighborhood than a brand new shiny house in a bad neighborhood. I did a comparison over a decade of appreciation of 3 subjects are the results of the 2 old houses in good neighborhoods smashed the performance of the newer house in the mediocre neighborhood. 10 years later, that newer house wasn't so new anymore and it was just a so-so house in a so-so neighborhood. The 2 ugly old houses on the other hand saw their neighbors rip down and rebuild which boosted the entire neighborhoods, even the subject houses that didn't rebuild.
Born, raised, live and work right here in Sunnyvale and YES it all makes a difference. And YES there is a better up side in different areas. These area's were all hit differently when the economy crashed and it was all about schools and location. Some area's in Sunnyvale dropped over 45% when the economy crashed and others dropped only 18-20%. WHY? Location and schools. (I would be happy to share this information with you) I have been a real estate investor myself since 1979 here in Sunnyvale. I have seen the prices go up and down and way back up and we are approaching a way back up period in a couple of areas of Sunnyvale. If you seen last weeks Sat. Mercury news the downtown area has gone up 0-40% year over year in certain areas just like downtown Mountain View. There are reasons for this. Knowing what to buy, what to pay and how to negotiate the right price is vital. Having this knowledge as a Sunnyvale investor is key. I am happy to share my knowledge with those who ask.
You mention Kind's academy, Harker and cupertino schools which brings in different zip codes. Private and public schools. Private schools allow you to live almost anywhere in town but public schools require you to live within the district and in specific areas. So sit down with a professional who doesn't just say they know but actually lives here or has been buying and selling homes in the area. No one has actually mentioned the different areas and zip codes but something very unique is brewing in Sunnyvale and I would say "don't miss out" This is a great place to live, work and thrive.....I would be happy to talk with any investors or first time home buyers about Sunnyvale with out any obligation of using my services. Born, raised, live and work in Sunnyvale makes me a very passionate about my town. http://www.SunnyvaleHouseFinder.com or http://www.ServingSantaClaraCounty.com
I agree with Terri's approach, in looking for an investment like this you should be looking at schools and location. The best schools have held there value and have increased over the past year. With the price range you mentioned I would be looking for properties with the good Cupertino schools.
If you you haven't done so already get with a good buyers agent so that you can explore your options, and feel confident in your choices.
If you would like some help, please feel free to contact me with any questions.
At your service,
Certified Distressed Property Expert
The prices in Sunnyvale have been affected by the housing boom and crash just like other areas. Prices went up then in the last few years prices went down, and now that our inventory is low and consumer confidence is up, prices are going up.

It continues to be one of the desirable areas to purchase. As for investment, are you looking for cash flow or appreciation? We are seeing appreciation now in the market. As for cash flow that is a long answer to a specific property.

My advice to buyers (not professional real estate investors), is to not weigh you final housing decision as you would the stock market. It is a home and should be approached that way. Is it the area you want to live in, can you afford it, does it fit your wants and needs? Then using your trusted real estate professional determine the price which you will pay for the home. Today's market people are over bidding. To what price can or will you overbid?

Have an amazing day!
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
I really hate playing the overbidding game, even if I can do so financially. I know the bay area is used to doing so and real estate agents frequently encourage so, at least in my experience. This will be my third home and it has to command reasonable value and future potential, while serving as a weekday refuge for my child whom I like to send to a good private elementary school for a well rounded education. She is already in a good public elem school in Fremont but not well rounded environment. The peninsula has better private schools, hence the search. Later on, it will become an investment rental. That is the goal. Given this, which area(s) in Sunnyvale should I focus on in your opinion?
Flag Thu Jan 10, 2013