Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

indecisive, Home Buyer in New York, NY

How would you best describe the differences between living in the Lake Wylie vs Union County areas around Charlotte?

Asked by indecisive, New York, NY Wed Jan 30, 2013

Answers

9
Gloria Fridrich’s answer
It depends where you want to live in either place. Some parts of Lake Wylie are more rural and further from shopping and metro Charlotte area as is the case in Union County. I live in Western Union County and it is not a rural feel but a suburban feel. We are close to Charlotte, shopping and we boat on Lake Wylie which is about a 40 min ride to launch.
It also depends where you plan to work, which schools are a good fit for your children and which setting is more appealing to you.
Good afternoon, Indecisive:
Lake Wylie is generally more hilly with a lake feel. There is a good range of housing types. There is one main road in and out of some areas, so traffic can be heavy at rush hour. Union County is diverse - with many cities and housing in some homes on rural acreage, retirement villages, very upscale mansions and just about everything in-between. Housing prices are up, inventory is down and it is no longer a buyers market. If you want a home, indecisiveness will not serve you well and you will tend to not end up with the home you really wanted. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
If you would like to speak with a highly experienced agent in the area please click on the link below.

Thank you for your question.

http://myhomecharlotte.com/local-charlotte-information/find-…
Hello Indecisive,

You have gotten some good advice. Lake Wylie was created when the Catawba River was damned to create a nuclear power plant reservoir, Catawba Nuclear Station. There is also a steam plant, Allen Steam Station. Lake Wylie is a recreational lake with great amenities and schools. Part of Lake Wylie is located in Mecklenburg County and part is located in York County- hence differences between the real estate.

Union County is always changing. The local airport was used by celebrities come in for the recent National Democratic Convention. Pilots like this airport. I agree that the feel is more rural in Union County. Weddington and Waxhaw are bedroom communities to Charlotte, a lot of house for the money with lower taxes. Indian Trail has a large pipe producing plant, Charlotte Pipe and Foundry. Around Monroe, you will find a chicken plant and a brick making plant.

Where you locate depends on your budget and what you want to enjoy. There are many good areas to chose in Charlotte metro.
Robin Faison, Realtor
Chicken plant? Ew. Not living there. Are the other plants noticeable parts of the communities? Thanks for your information. It's helpful.
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
What you need to be asking yourself is "what type of lifestyle do I want?" If you enjoy water activities and crave living on or need water - you should focus your search around homes in the Lake Wylie area. If a more rural lifestyle is to your liking, Union County is a great choice. Love horses? Go with Union Co. Love boating? Go with Lake Wylie.

Another important factor for you should be your tolerance of commute time. Where will you be working and how much time are you willing to spend in your car? While it is true that Union Co's taxes are lower than Mecklenburg's, one can easily spend the difference in what one pays for gas in a year commuting back and forth to work. Consider also what you time is worth as well.

There are so many pieces to the "where do I live?" puzzle. Visting both areas will answer many of your questions. You will "feel" where you belong!

Best of luck with your search!
Kathleen Turner, ABR, CRS, ePro, Certified Paralegal
KathleenTurnerRealty@gmail.com
704-609-2688
http://www.BuyAHomeInCharlotte.com
The older portions of Lake Wylie on the South Carolina side can be more resort feeling but the lots that are on big water will be very expensive. If you love the thought of a lifestyle that includes having the water amenities, this is a good option. The homes in Tega Cay on the North Carolina side of the line come with higher taxes.

As others have mentioned, the Union County side has a more rural influence but is only 10 minutes from some of the best shopping and restaurants in the region. The Southpark area, just outside of the city but still close to everything, is another option. There are a host of prestigious, private schools within minutes of the Southpark region that include Charlotte Latin, Providence Day, Charlotte Christian, the Montessori Campus and many others.

Please call for a candid conversation about your options. Your very best strategy is to plan to spend a few days exploring the lifestyle associated with each of your options. It really will come down to deciding if you want to, as closely as possible, duplicate what you have in New York City or try something new.

Blessings upon you...
Jan Teel
TEEL Realty
704-641-0267
Union County is known for great schools, larger lots and lower taxes. You will get alot of house here. In fact, expect a custom or semi-custom house for your money. Top notch amenities with possible: estate style'd homes, gated, clubhouse, pool, and possibly a golf course. Marvin Area (Union County) is very close to shopping, restaurants and msin roads and highways. Alot of my Clients have purchased in this Area simply because you get more and the everyday convenience is there. The commute can be the downside. If you compare Dilworth to Union County, you will be impressed. But, they are totally different in just about every way. My suggestion is to explore all of these possibilities. Once you have had a tour and get a sampling of the houses, you will be able to eliminate. Specifically in Union County I would look up Providence Downs, Kingsmead, Firethorne, Weddington Chase, Marvin Creek and Longview. Other Communities that might have something in the 600's might be Stratford on Providence and Woodhall (alot of higher priced 1M homes).

If you are considering that far South, you might want to consider The Palisades. Golf, social/pool memberships but it is out there as far as the drive goes.

I hope this helps!

Debbie

Debra M Buck
HM Properties
704.421.2107
Debra@hmproperties.com
Web Reference: http://Www.hmproperties.com
Thanks Debbie. That is helpful. I don't think we want to live so far that we feel isolated but the houses do look appealing. I will check out some hoods you reco'd.
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013
Please let me send you a relocation kit. I know that you will find the information useful. That is the only thing that will be sent to you just privately email me your mailing address. Charlottehomepro@gmail.com
If you're in the Lake Wylie area in Mecklenburg County, taxes are higher. Also, this area is more developed with $100-$250k mass production builder homes. Union county is more rural, you get a bit more land and the taxes are much lower than Mecklenburg county. More "estate" style homesites available with .5+acre lots.

Call me and I'll help you with your move, I found a home in Dilworth like you mentioned in your last question!

John Siddons
704-458-1843