Home Buying in Carnegie>Question Details

m4a375w, Home Buyer in Carnegie, PA

How was I automatically put on to a deed for property - and made responsible for property?

Asked by m4a375w, Carnegie, PA Sun Feb 3, 2013

Backstory, G'mother died in 1973, my mother and her siblings inherited a home.
My mother died 1993 - her portion of her inheritence fell down to me and my sister
My guess is that I and my sister were magically added to the original deed (and so to assume responsibility) for my mother's small share of home she inherited from her dead mother(?)
House is abandoned as no siblings live there anymore/or want to live there
How to avoid being held responsible for long-dead grandparent's property?

Answers

2
No magic, hire a good Realtor, they will help the family cure title and get the property SOLD.

Best of Luck.
Grand daughter
If the taxes are no longer paid at some point the city will foreclose but this could take years. Are you in contact with your mothers siblings? I would take care of this because if someone gets hurt there you could be held liable for not clearing the sidewalks. It is the homeowner that is responsible for keeping thier property safe. Selling the home even at no profit may be the best way to solve this. A realtor like myself could do a market value on th property, no cost to you. Then you could decide if selling is an option. With that info you could contact all the other owners on the deed. If someone wants to keep it you could deed your part to them or proceed to sell. Doing a Title search would be the next step. That will cost 200-300 to know if the title is clean. Hope this helps. I can be reached at 412-498-7868, Hope this helps Benny Smith
Thanks fr the replies! How would I even "deed this off" - I never signed for it/asked for it anyway to be added to the deed? I was 15 when the granother died, it makes zero sense that I am tied to debts for something owned by another generation or two away. Thanks!
Flag Mon Feb 4, 2013