Suzier, Both Buyer and Seller in 78701

How valuable is having a 2 car garage in Austin, TX?

Asked by Suzier, 78701 Mon Sep 21, 2009

I am looking into buying a house with a one car garage. It is in a very walkable area. My husband and I have 2 cars. For us, it wouldn't be a problem, but down the road, will it be hard to resell?

Answers

7
Depends on the area and norms. In a suburban part of Austin, it would be a problem. One of the best parts of home ownership is the garage for storage!

In a hot market it may not seem like a big deal. But if the market ever cools, or even during a normal market, these variances can make or break finding a buyer.
A lot depends on the home itself and the area where it is located. In some parts of the Austin area where you have older home garages may not exist or have been converted to and extra room. For the most part, in smaller square foot homes the garage ends up being a storeage area and how much stuff one has. A garage is usually calculated at $8-10,000 +/- per bay.
Suzier,

It depends on the location where the one car garage home is. If it is in a neighborhood that is predominatly 1 car garage then it will not really affect you. However if it's in a neighborhood where it is mostly two garages, most buyers will sway toward the two car garage for either more storage or they don't want to be parked on the streets. It's good that your thinking about the resale value.
Web Reference: http://www.lorihuey.com
Dear Suzier,
This answer will depend upon where the home is located. Many in town neighborhoods have smaller lots and may not have a garage.Often times the older homes have converted the garage or the house has been torn down a redeveloped into a zero lot line home. If your in a suburban neighborhood it may be a harder sell with no car/one car garage. Personally I would choose a home with a 2 car garage over a one car garage.

Also I would say it is better to choose a home with the two car garage in a side by side position over the "tandem" style garage. The tandem style is gaining popularity with builders as it allows for a much narrower lot and therefore more homes can be built in the same amount of space. The tandem style forces the second person parking to move their car to allow the first person to get out. This can be problematic and some buyers won't consider a home with this style garage configuration. It may be more challenging to sell if there are other homes available with a traditional style 2 car garage. Imagine your looking at this same home five years from now, would you still buy it?
Good luck and please call me if I can be of further assistance!

Betina Foreman Realtor
Keller Williams Real Estate
1801 S. MOPAC, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78746
512-771-6318
Location is everything on the answer to that question. I just looked at a $700,000 home with NO garage.....and it was a good buy. Why? Location. Other areas even having a 2 car garage can be insufficient. Your agent should help you with comps of 1 and 2 car garages to see what, if any, affect the difference has.....and is there capability to expand the garage....even as a tandem.

Tim Moncrief
Co Owner
Bartlett RE Group of Keller Williams
Tim@TopKWGroup.com
Web Reference: http://wwwTopKWGroup.com
Suzier,

Good day. More garage space is better than no garage space. You should look at comparable sales in the neighborhood you are looking to purchase. An appraiser would look at sold houses similar to the one your are looking at, they would compare the size, sf, location, number of bedrooms, baths etc. Then they would look at the same with 2 garages. The difference between the average of the two sets of comparable homes is the value the additional garage would add to the value of the home. Anything over that amount spent to build the additional garage is not likely to be recouped. As far as the resell is concerned, unless most of the homes in the area have 2 car garages, it may not make a huge difference to a future owner, as it did not affect your choice to purchase the home.

If you do not have access to sold homes info, visit the web link below.

Keep in mind that BuyersHouseRealty is the virtual evolution of real estate and we pay our clients for their real estate education.

Gavin St.Louis
Managing Agent/Realtor
BuyersHouseRealty
512.663.9519Direct
Hi Suzier,

In my experience it really depends on the neighborhood as to how valuable the two car garage is. Some neighborhoods -- particularly older more urban neighborhoods -- it's more the norm to have a one car garage. Other areas you would be at a distinct disadvantage with a one car garage.

Some things I would consider since you and your husband currently have two cars:

First, do you plan to keep both cars?

If yes, then how is the off street parking or would you need to park on the street? If you would have to park on the street, how wide is the street and how busy is the street? Picture it with a car in front of your house and the one across the street. Can traffic still flow easily?

Another thing I might think about is whether you have kids or might some time. Lots of cars on the street often pose hazards for the little ones who aren't too likely to watch for cars.

None of these things have direct impact on value. However, they do impact how happy you will ulitmately be in your new home. If you are used to having a two car garage you might just find it a real pain in butt to only have space for one unless you are downsizing to one car.

Just some things to think about.

Please call me if I can be of any assistance in your home buying process.

Carol
Web Reference: http://CARARealtyGroup.com