Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

Christine, Home Buyer in Scottsdale, AZ

How to start the process of moving from out of state?

Asked by Christine, Scottsdale, AZ Sat Sep 1, 2012

My family and I are planning on moving to Arizona by next summer. We are coming out there for 4 days in October to start looking at houses. We are looking between Scottsdale, Gilbert and Chandler. What are some pro/cons of the houses in these cities? We are also looking for a realtor that will work with us long distance as well. We are from Illinois.

That is exciting that you are moving to Arizona. If you are looking to for financing options, look into Flagstar Bank, they are a Federally Charted Bank and we have a small office branch in Scottsdale, AZ. We would provide you a pre-approval based on a to be determined property.

Call me or email me I would be more than happy to provide you a loan proposal.

Flagstar Bank,
Geofrey Merino
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
hi Christine,

I am a transplant from Indiana...17 years ago. You will love living in AZ. i am a full-time realtor with Keller Williams Realty, the number two company in the US so I have contacts all over the country and in turn am very use to working with out of state clients. Around 75% of my buyers are from out of state. Have you requested the Phoenix Relocation Guide?.....I am a preferred Realtor of theirs.

Please give me a call as i would like the opportunity to make your house buying and the transition to the Valley of the Sun a fun, stress free, and enjoyable experience!

Jane Grimm
Grimm Luxury Group

You will love it here! We moved from Illinois about 25 years ago and have never regretted it.

There are a lot of questions you will need to go over with the Realtor you choose so that they can do a good job for you. You should make sure you choose a Realtor that has a lot of experience so that your experience will go smoother.

If you are going to be purchasing a home with a mortgage, then the first thing you should do is to speak with a competent lender to see what you will be able to qualify. They will want to know income and debts, are you transferring with a company or just getting a job in the same field...,If you have any credit questions, now would be the time to review this with the lender so that they can tell you how to take care of anything that could cause you to not qualify. You certainly will want to make sure that you qualify for the price range you will start looking in as starting to look in one price range to only have to start looking in a lower price range due to qualifying can make the buying process a bit more frustrating for you.

As far as the cities; Scottsdale is a great area that has great dining, shopping, parks and schools. You will find homes to be a bit more expensive than Chandler and Gilbert. Chandler has great schools and does have a major mall and also has some nice restaurants, but Scottsdale has more restaurants than Chandler. As in any city some areas will be nicer than others and much will depend upon what you want to spend. Gilbert is also a great area and though not as many fine dining you will find some great places to eat and there have a wonderful shopping area that is newer call San Tan Village. Gilbert and Chandler doesn't have the nightlife that Scottsdale has, but they are wonderful cities to raise a family. Both Gilbert and Chandler have nice parks as well. Basically here, most cities run into one another and it seems more like one very large suburb. Again, you will get more for your money in Gilbert and Chandler than you will in Scottsdale.

So to start, talk to a lender, which I can give you some good lenders to talk with, and then take some time to chat with a Realtor (I would love to help you with this of course) and go over where you will be working, who you might want to live close to if you have relatives or friends in the area, what interests you have that you may spend time doing for recreation etc, as well as what price range you want to stay in and what your wants and needs are in the home.

I know from experience that moving can be stressful and exciting at the same time. We would love to help and can help you long distance as well. We work with clients from all over the states as well as international buyers, and would love to help you find your home. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Ron & Brenda Cunningham
West USA Realty
Ron 602-499-0694

**** Recognized in the Phoenix Business Journal as "One of The Top 50 Realtors in The Valley" ****

* Search the official active FlexMLS like we do for FREE through our website at:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Where in Illinois are you from? I grew up just outside Chicago. I would be happy to work with you and I have extensive experience in working with buyers from out of state and you can also see recommendations from my clients on my trulia profile. My clicking on my photo, you can see, in my client's own words, the quality of my work. Scottsdale, Gilbert, and Chandler are some of the most popular cities in the east valley and there are many subdivisions in each of these cities that are unique. Whether you want to be close to shopping, restaurants, cultural events, city life, or amazing desert views all of these areas can offer these ammenities to you. Some questions that you will want to consider are price, subdivision ammenities, number of levels in the home, gated community, lot size, square footage of home, pool, school district, age of home, proximity to work, etc. Hopefully this gets the wheels turning and I can't wait to see you here in AZ next month!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Hi Christine,

I have lived in several stales, now have been living in Scottsdale AZ for over 19 years and loved it. I certainly understand your relocating process. I have listed and sold homes in all your 3 choices of cities. Depending on your work and children's school etc all these cities are good choices. I work with lots of out of states buyers and I can help you with all your relocating needs.
You can call or email me directly to set up appointment to tour these areas first so you get a better feeling of which location might be best suited for your whole family.

Shahla Mentha, ABR, e-PRO
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Hi Christine,
I made the transition myself from Illinois a few years ago, and it will be an adjustment. Where you should live in the valley will be determined by your particular situation. Will you be working or retiring? What type of activities do you enjoy? Do you have family or friends in the area? What is your budget?

These are all factors that will affect your decision.

Please feel free to contact me or vist my website for area information. I would love to help you discover more about the Valley of the Sun.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2012
I grew up in the Denver area, mostly in Aurora and Littleton. All of my brothers and sisters still live there actually, but I have moved to Arizona and lived here for about seven years now, and it is great! Although it is a little bit hot, I sure don't miss the snow! (Except to look at I guess).

Anyway, I have almost always lived in Chandler and Gilbert (currently living in Gilbert), so I might be a little bit biased (ok fine, I am very biased, lol), but I really love the Chandler/Gilbert area. I think the schools here are great, the neighbors are great, and crime is low, and homes here are much more affordable than Scottsdale. Sometimes I feel like a lot of Scottsdale is so expensive just because it is "Scottsdale" (Make sure you are holding out your pinkie finger when you say that). If you want a little more bang for your buck as far as how much house you can get, or how nice of a house you can get, and still have a great city to live in, with lots of great amenities, then I recommend Chandler or Gilbert for sure.

I know there are a lot of agents on here talking about how they can help, so obviously you will have plenty of options. But I can tell you that I help out of town buyers on a daily basis. Just today, I did video walk-throughs of four different properties for 2 different buyers, one who is in India, and another who is in California. Last week I closed on a property for a client in Canada, and next week I am closing on a property for a client in Durango. My real estate office kind of considers me the "out of town buyer specialist."

Also, while you are here in October, I would be happy to block off my calendar to make sure I can accommodate you and show you as many houses in each location of interest as possible, so that you can really narrow it down while you are here. Please feel free to check out my profile on here. I just started it, so no new reviews are on Trulia for me yet, but I have lots of 5 star reviews from past clients on zillow, and you can check them out here:

Please let me know if you have any questions!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2012
Hi Christine!

Congratulations on your upcoming move!

As a Denver transplant I'm very familiar with the idiosyncrasies that go along with moving from a state with 'all' the seasons to AZ!

We have a relocation team that can help you every step of the way, from selecting your new home, to school enrollment, to soccer & piano lessons.

I'd be happy to talk with you more about each city, and how their locations pros/cons will fit into your family's plans.

Our team is entirely technology based, do we won't skip a beat even though we will be working long distance. We offer video tours, Skype sessions, and much much more for our out of town clients.

Please feel free to call me at 602.332.0520 or email me at Tara@PhoenixHomeScope.com

I look forward to talking with you soon!

Tara Viksne
SRL Group | PhoenixHomeScope Team
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2012

All three cities offer great options for families from schools to entertainment to housing to recreation and more, but each also provide their own unique lifestyle.

A few main parameters to initially weigh heavily are:
1. Location - specifically as it pertains to employment and therefore commute time, etc.
2. Schools, if you have children.

The home values in all three cities will be comparable providing you with a variety of sizes, amenities, and prices.

When you are here in October, you will definitely want to begin by first taking tours of all three city areas to give you a feel for housing styles, lifestyle, access to freeways, etc. You may find that you still like all three or that you prefer one or two over the others.

Our website http://www.urbburb.com offers a wealth of information on living in the Phoenix-metro area as well as an easy-to-use property search. I am happy to provide you with additional information on Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert separately.

Additionally, UrbBurb LLC is technology-focused allowing us to work efficiently with our out-of-state clients providing each their own unique myUrbBurb page for constant updates, communication, photographs and more plus online access to documents and e-signatures, etc. You can also always connect with us via text, email and Twitter, Facebook, Linked-In, etc.

I'd be happy to provide a recommendation to you as well from a recent client who re-located from Chicago to the Phoenix area.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me by email or phone at anytime.

Thank you.

Stacie Durnford, Owner/Designated Broker
UrbBurb LLC | 602.595.4454
Looking for the scoop on Phoenix area real estate and what's going on in town? Check out our UrbBurb blogs:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2012
Hi Christine:

I am not a realtor, so I avoid trying to answer realtor questions, just as I am sure realtors would not try to answer financing questions...

I highly recommend Randy Bishop, a realtor with Better Homes and Garden Realty. He has lived in the Valley all his life and has worked very well with, and for, a number of my clients, a number of which have originated from out of state referrals. He can be reached at (480) 209-2383 or RandyMBishop@yahoo.com.

Please go to my LinkedIn site to get an idea of whom I am, so you will have an idea of the quality you can expect from someone whom I refer: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billparkercpa

Bill Parker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2012

You will love Arizona, we moved from Iowa 14 years ago and love it. Still visit Iowa on a frequent basis to see family and friends but have never had to shovel the heat and like that a bunch! HA

You have chosen 3 good communities that are well liked and respected. The price points might be the biggest difference you see with Scottsdale pricing be notably higher than Chandler/Gilbert.

We have lived in Chandler and Gilbert and enjoy both communities.

We might want to discuss what you like to do for fun? Will you be working? Commute time? How much house do you want or need? How much do you want to spend for that? Financing or cash? One of my favorite lenders is a guy from Illinois.

We also have relocation guides that will help you out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2012