Home Buying in Baltimore>Question Details

MQ, Both Buyer and Seller in Baltimore County, MD

How to reduce the taxes on newly bought property?

Asked by MQ, Baltimore County, MD Wed May 15, 2013

Just bought a house in Baltimore city. The tax for the house is way more than what I bought the property for. How do I get the taxes lowered to what the real value of the property is? Is there a lawyer or someone in Baltimore city who could help?

Help the community by answering this question:


You can actually fill out the form your self and turn it in. Dottie provided you the link. Ask for an in-person hearing and bring your HUD1. You could also as your realtor to provide comparable prices or bring the appraisal in to the hearing. That usually suffices.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
You need to examine the tax bill and the assessment. Both are available on line. If the assessment is higher than the actual price you paid you can file an appeal. Here again you can do it online. But make sure you understand the tax bill. There is a lot of math involved depending on where you live. There are homestead exemptions for owner occupants, state taxes and water and sewer assessments plus various area charges in several counties. You just need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples...that means the assessment on the tax bill should be the same as on the tax bill before any credits or charges.

You don't need a lawyer. It's not that complicated. If you want to email me I'll give you the websites to get the data. I will need your address.

Bob McGee
Advance Realty Timonium
Direct: 410-560-4574
Main Office: 410-561-0004
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
Contact your title company or attorney that handled the closing. There is a form that must be filled out within 60 days of transfer of the property and sent to Baltimore City.

See more information on the State website http://www.dat.state.md.us/sdatweb/appeal.html
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
The information provided by my peers is proper protocol. However, this needs to be done within 60 days of purchasing the property per the Maryland residential contract of sale.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional questions.


Angelo M. Cooper, GRI, BPOR, CNE
Keller Williams Realty
Residential/Commercial/Investor Services
Licensed in MD & PA
"I Do MORE Than Sell Real Estate!"
Website: http://locatemarylandrealestate.com
Email: angelorealtypro@kw.com
Cell: 410-977-5630
Office: 410-342-4444
Fax: 410-342-0873

"Your referral is my greatest compliment. Referrals have been the cornerstone of my business for many years and are greatly appreciated!"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun May 19, 2013
Hi MQ. My name is Christy Larrimore. I have owned and operated a property tax appeal business since 2008: Maryland Property Tax Solutions. I am also a licensed Realtor in Maryland servicing the Baltimore and Annapolis areas, so I am very familiar with property values.

I'd be happy to assist you with the appeal process! I do a lot of work in Baltimore City and I only charge a fee if I'm successful with an appeal.

If you're interested, please don't hesitate to contact me: christylarrimore@gmail.com. Also, my website is: http://www.birdseyerealtors.com

Christy L. Larrimore, MSRE
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
Congrats on your new home. You can contest the value if you to go http://www.dat.state.md.us There is a form to request an reassessment of your taxes.

good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer