PENNY, Home Buyer in Corona, CA

How to make sure you are working with a good, knowledgeable realtor?

Asked by PENNY, Corona, CA Wed Nov 21, 2012

Does it make a big difference to have a realtor from the specific area we are interested in. Is listing book the only best way to see the latest, newest listings Is there anything else my realtor can do for us besides listing book if we have very specific home criteria...3000sq ft yr 2000 and very specific zip code 92882 under 600000. Do local realtors in corona have a better advantage in securing a home for us. What else should my realtor do for us?

Answers

15
You'll want to be searching for homes on a live MLS portal site like the one you'll find at http://www.TheHomefindingCenter.org

You'll also find agents who can help you at The Homefinding Center in Corona (they've been at the same location as long as I can remember - maybe 20 years). They help many buyers such as you each month.

Yes, you should definitely be working with a realtor who specializes (and lives preferrably) in the city where you wish to buy. Anyone telling you differently probably doesn't!

good luck
Keller Williams
Grace Yocky
Cell# 951-532-5129
Note: for more info Visit my website at http://www.gracehomeforyou@kwrealty.com
One of the advantages of a local Realtor is their knowledge of the area and the connections they have to other local Realtors. An honest, competent and fair Realtor who has been around for many years will have earned the respect of their peers. That is valuable to you when making offers on homes listed by other local Realtors. When agents work together to close a sale, we each work to represent our clients to the best of our ability. We also pray that the agent on the other side of the transaction is competent and trustworthy. Local agents also network and communicate with each other and sometimes let each other in on listings in the area that haven't hit the MLS yet. I recently secured a certain home in Corona for my buyer because the other agent with the most competitive offer broke one our ethics codes when he was negotiationg for his client and it angered the listing agent.

Another thing to look for is a Realtor with experience who takes their business seriously. When representing a seller, it is now common to get several offers, since we're in a rising market with low inventory. It is easy for the listing agent to tell whether the agent who wrote an offer knows their business. You'd be surprised at how many agents don't know how to fill out the offer form or don't know exactly what is in it. That is important to you because if the offer is incomplete or improperly filled out, it can lead to many problems in escrow (and lets the listing agent know that it may be a difficult escrow, which can hurt your chances of getting the home).

A good buyer's agent will work hard to find just the right home for you if they know that you aren't working with other agents.They may employ Listingbook or a control panel type update on homes as they come on the market. They'll learn your experience level and communication preferences and advise you in language you can understand on the current market, areas, proceedures, strategies, price trends, etc.

Since there is a scarcity of homes right now, buyers often get frustrated and wonder if their Realtor is really doing everything possible for them. There are some "above and beyond" things that some Realtors may do. They included searching the expired listings in your chosen area to see if there may be someone whose listing expired who still wants to sell, though there are not many viable expired listings right now. They may also go to your targeted neighborhood and knock on doors looking for someone who is thinking of selling.

First Team also has a special program that identifies listings that haven't yet hit the MLS as well as buyers who are looking for particular types of homes.

Since you posted this question back in November, chances are that you've already found your home. If so, congratulations! I am available for all questions or assistance. Just click on "contact".
Web Reference: http://CoronasBestHomes.com
I have worked all over different areas ,we all have access to pretty much everything ,I would be very comfortabel with your realtor and have a good relationship ,check the recommendations on Trulia ,that might help ,you also must know how you feel about the realtor you pick.for this special process,If you need help you can call or e mal me. HENA MARTIN BROKER 760-251-2868
The Homefinding Center in Corona has been assisting people just like you for almost 20 years in the same location. Speaking to your question... some agents have invaluable contacts with others in their market area and can help you buy a home when other agents might not have the same ability to help (not that they don't want to help you... just that they don't have all the same tools in the toolbox).

Find an expert IN the city of your choice and sailing will be much smoother than if you let an outside area agent "sell you" on using them.

Good luck with your search and purchase.
You've received some very good answers already so I won't waste your time reiterating what has already been said. I will say that sometimes, agents and clients just don't mix and they need to part ways. It could be the way the agent does business in relation to how the client wants to be treated or it may be a difference in personalities. But all that needs to be sorted out in the first meeting you have with the agent.

Recently, I had a seller cancel a listing with another agent to list with me. In discussing with the seller what the previous agent did wrong, I couldn't find anything. In fact, I knew the other agent and find him to be very good. It seemed to boil down to the fact that she (the seller) just didn't like him for some reason. Which is a shame because he really was doing a good job for her. But, my gain!

I always suggest to find a Realtor through a friend or relative's referral. Their previous experience can be a great barometer for what you'll have to expect. And be clear about your expectations from the beginning so there's no miscommunication. And once the expectations are set, be sure the agent continues to meet them. Always voice your concerns so again, there's no miscommunication.

Hi Penny.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question because you can have a great REALTOR from out of the area that is knowledgeable and resourceful that can find you just as many homes to view that meet your criteria as any local agent. You can also have a local agent that is not very thorough, experienced or professional.

Either way you slice it, finding someone that is passionate about helping YOU find YOUR dream home is the key. Not only should they want to help you find the absolute perfect new home, but they should also be able to provide useful valuation analysis and help you determine if the price makes financial sense from both a cost perspective, as well as a value perspective.

Due to limited supply in this particular market, there is very little inventory available and I've heard a lot of agents tell new home buyers to offer 10% above market, make an offer within 24 hours of the listing date, etc...which is sheer nonsense. It is a tight market, but there is a MASSIVE amount of inventory sitting on the sidelines that will come to market eventually.

You just need to find an agent that is patient, well connected, experienced and most of all....understands exactly what you want and is willing to patiently work with you until you find it.

There is no rush to get into real estate right now. The U.S. is heading back into recession again, so opportunities will soon arise again. Just be prepared to snatch up that deal when it pops up!

Happy House Hunting!

Tom Jandt
DRE Lic. #01869845
Hilton Thomas & Associates Realty
SFR & HAFA Short Sale Certified REALTOR
http://www.hiltonthomas.com
1-866-766-1112
Great answer !!!! HENA MARTIN BROKER
Flag Tue Feb 5, 2013
Whew, you have had some fantastic responses. I agree with those agents from Corona area, knowledge is power.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference: http://joelocator.com
Hi Penny,

My thoughts may differ a bit from the other responses you've received. One of the first ways to determine if your Realtor is knowledgeable is to go out on a 2-3 hour home tour with him or her. Ask questions as you go along about the properties, the neighborhood, your situation, etc. Take stock of the responses you receive. You should be able to determine if someone knows what they're talking about.

Another way to determine the skills and knowledge of your agent is to be knowledgeable yourself. Search the websites, i.e. Trulia, Zillow, local and local articles about your real estate market. The more up to date you are, the better you will be able to evaluate your agent.

Although most 'hyper local' agents will try to convince you that they are better than someone else, I do not necessarily agree. What makes a good agent is different for every single buyer - each has different sensitivities and needs.

How have you made decisions before about what vendors to use or businesses to patronize? Whatever that process is...use it...it obviously works for you.

Your Realtor should be actively looking for all homes in your search criteria, making suggestions, exploring homes that are not yet advertised, and contacting any relevant fsbo's. A good agent should be responding to your requests in a timely fashion...if they don't --then it's not the right agent for you.

Hope that helps. Happy Thanksgiving.
Hi Penny,

Please remember There are many many buyers out there.

Also, I am in 100% agreement with Carlene Blair who posted earlier. We both live and work in Corona area for over 10 years. When you live and work in the specific area we have friends that live in the neighborhoods such as Mountain gate that can tell you the latest and what goes on in the community.
as well as having a heads up on who may be interested in selling there home.
I personally do not use listing book as it can be confusing and mislead a buyer when infact homes might not be available. But.... If your price range is up to $600k there maybe more homes available.
If your Agent is only relying on listing book, It might be time to hire another Realtor.
Is the Agent from Corona & an rea Specialist?

Lydia Kray
Tarbell Realtors
cell 951-733-1058
http://www.LydiaKray.com
Lic#01744839
Very good questions. Real Estate experience is very important as well as life experience in the overall financial marketplace...after all we are giving long term financial advice. In todays market realtors need to be specialists which is difficult to do if they are all over the place. Focusing on a hyper-local market is a way to do just that. I actually work my neighborhood which just happens to be 92882 in the Mountain Gate Park area. This allows one to be knowledgeable on all market conditions as well as lifestyle issues like school reputations, best restaurants, and just how neighborly it feels. A local realtor also knows of properties that might reach the market soon which can be an advantage in this market with such small inventory. I like listingbook and most of my clients use it as it is completely up to date, but it is simply a tool to be combined with the leg work a realtor does on the back side. I also set up my clients with daily updates directly from the MLS to their email of new properties hitting the market to give us the time advantage to act on them quickly.
I door knock my neighbors and have an ideal of when they wish to sell if ever and contact them when I have buyers. Being local you also form relationships with other local realtors which gives and advantage when submitting offer to them.
Penny I noticed that there are several great homes in the area recently on the market that fit your criterion. I hope that helps.
Hello Penny,

Nobody is perfect, no matter if you are New or Experience Agent.

* Negotiation skills matters (in a good way)
* Communication with client

* Client willing to listen to their agent.

* There is not a single Agent that Know it all

* Be straight with client, if the agent doesn't know, he/ she will be willing to find out.

* Every home is Unique (never let anybody sell you the house, let the home itself sell it to you)

* Good Area Comparable Market Analysis is a must

* As long that the Agent is willing to think for their client (meaning as if the agent is purchasing the house for themselves)

* Through the Interview process both you and the agent will know each side better (Chemistry is very important)

The only advantage of local agent is the distance to the area where you searching the home, he/she might know the area better. But I think a good agent no matter being local or not should be able to gain 95% + of the same knowledge through a detail research and analysis of the area of interest in no time.

Best of luck to you and your family in searching for your dream home. "Happy Thanksgiving"

Danny Chen
Direct: (909) 343-8838
Email: DCHENPRO@GMAIL.COM
I agree with Carlene, your agent has to be aggressive and you have to be persistent and patient.

With the criteria you listed there are several homes available that fit that bill. Are you just not liking what you have been seeing so far? What you are looking for is definitely out there, you just need to stick with it.
Yes Penny, a realtor that specializes in specific areas typically knows more than a realtor from outside the area. One with knowledge, experience and good reputation are important. If you are concerned with your realtor or any other, you can contact the department of real estate with the agents DRE number and research to see if any violations are against them. Also choose social median, google and real estate websites to get reviews on realtors that are active to see who the best ones are out there for you.
As for Listing Book, that shows you the properties immediately from the multiple listing service, however, your agent needs to react quickly to show, write and submit your offer immediately. Time is of the essence in the real estate market. Be persistant and patient!
In general, since this is not our area of expertise, we highly recommend you go over their recent sales and or current listings. It is all too common to work with a realtor that is not aware of pocket listings that are not on the MLS service, or for a realtor to pursue home owners that may not be looking to sell, but have interest in it. We do recommend having a realtor that specializes in a particular area precisely for this purpose.