Home Buying in 08807>Question Details

ru.hezink, Home Buyer in Somerville, NJ

How to inquire existing permits in Bridgewater Township?

Asked by ru.hezink, Somerville, NJ Sat Aug 10, 2013

I am considering buying a single family house with intention to enhance the building later. What is the best ways to find out what is feasible?

Help the community by answering this question:


It is a good idea to study and read on your own, THEN contact the building dept with your questions. Sometimes the zoning officials can be short on time to provide a lot of education, but if you have direct questions or seek clarification, they can be more helpful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 10, 2013
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in ,
Stop at the town, purchase a copy of the building codes and zoning regulations for the town. Read thoroughly. That will give you an idea about what you can and cannot do. If you are confused or have questions, write them down, make an appointment with the building inspector or the head of the zoning board and address them.

If you are going to build in a town, you should be an expert on the zoning regulations for the town. All it takes is reading and a bit of study.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 10, 2013
Visit the Bridgewater Twp Municipal offices on Commons Way.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 10, 2013
Go the Building Department and speak to Zoning if your considering doing substantial renovations (add a levels, additions). They will be able to help you. The building department will help you with what type of work needs to be permitted, such as interior renovations like changing the interior structure, moving plumbing, updating electrical etc. If you plan on doing kitchen and bath work, as long as the fixtures remain existent (same place) and your upgrading the cosmetics then no permits are required. However when you start to get into demoing sheetrock, taking down or moving walls, you will need permits. In any case, all of these questions will be addressed by them.

Best of luck,


Halo Homebuyers L.L.C.
726 US-202 #320-164
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
(908) 547-0404
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 13, 2015
Speak to the town first to see what they would allow, then get a local builder or contractor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
The best way is to find a local builder or General contractor that has experience in the town to give you an estimate on the cost and the possibility to do what you want to do..
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 11, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer