Malcolm Sesay, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

How to get a loan to get my first home?

Asked by Malcolm Sesay, Philadelphia, PA Mon Jun 17, 2013

i'm graduating from college in december, and im planning on relocating back to my home city of philadelphia, and buying my first home and continuing my education until i get my masters degree as a Physicians Assistant..my question is how do i go about getting a first time home owner's loan and what are the qualifications...my credit isn't good at all due to some discrepancies from my younger days and student loans but i was just curious...if you have the answers please let me know asap...GOD bless

Answers

3
Congrats on your decision to move back home to Philadelphia!

In order to get a loan for your first home, you will want to contact a Mortgage Loan Officer. Feel free to call me to go over the steps of a Pre-Approval (412-551-8970 - John Cushma).

During this call, we will discuss some personal details such as:
- Your current employment (who you work for and how much you make)
- Current Financial Situation (i.e. how much money you have in the bank)
- What sort of home you are looking for
- Your Credit Score

Seeing that you mentioned your credit isn't the best, I would love to help out with some pointers/tips to fix your credit quickly, or staging a game plan to boost it over time. I have some clients that have had a small hiccup in their score, which is easy to fix, and others that require a plan that can take a few months. In either way, it has worked for everyone each time.

I would love to chat with you more, so please feel free to reach out to me!

Thanks again!

John
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 20, 2013
Good afternoon Malcolm,

First steps:

Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
You should sit down with a lender who can explain the process and tell you what you need to do to improve your credit. You can go to http://www.hud.gov for resources for home buyers.