Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Alison Joseph, Home Buyer in Lewiston, NY

How to find the right agent?

Asked by Alison Joseph, Lewiston, NY Mon Jul 22, 2013

I'm planning a move to Denver next July(aprox) (currently live in upstate NY and am preparing my house for sale here). I'm planning a trip out there the end of October for a few days (thurs-tues) and am hoping to find an agent to help me figure out where I want to live. I have around a $250k budget and want to see what that can get me in different areas and also want to look at at least one of the new build communities (reunion) or more if there are more for that price point. I'm hoping someone can help me narrow down a few neighborhoods before I come out since I'll only have limited time while I'm there.

Answers

21
I (Jim Lux) was born and raised in upstate New York, a little town in the Finger Lakes named Waterloo the birth place of Memorial Day. While in the U.S.A.F. Uncle Sam sent me out west and the minute I saw Denver I knew this was home, you'll love the semi-arid climate and the fact the Denver gets more sunny days a year than San Diego California (average of 245).

My team and I would consider it an honor and privilege to work with and for you to make your transition as stress free and smooth as possible, give us a call or contact us with the dates you'll be in town and we will arrange a tour of Denver and the surrounding sub-burbs for you, getting to know the area will be instrumental in planning your move. We have helped hundreds of clients move, see some of our client testimonials on our web site and get to know a little about us before you come out.

You can call us toll free 1-888-LUX-Team (589-8326), or Locally @ 303 327-5898

We will be looking forward to meeting you!
My advice would be, find a Realtor that listens to your property interests and needs. It is best if the Realtor is detail oriented, interested in helping others, and knows what is important to the client. You would want to find a professional that knows the current market, returns calls, and is very attentive. Proof of success is important as well.

Chad Roberts
Broker/Salesperson
Realty One Group
Hi Alison -- I know you're received a LOT of answers to your question, but I wanted to address it as well as I specialize in helping people relocate to Denver from other areas. Narrowing things down is actually pretty easy -- it always comes down to location and price. $250K isn't a huge budget in the Denver area, but you can definitely find a nice home.

Additionally, before you begin shopping, be sure to hire an agent that KNOWS the market here. That sounds obviously but it really isn't. There are neighborhoods to avoid (still decreasing in value) and neighborhoods where you can find great values and enjoy certain price appreciation down the road.

I hope this helps. Also, fyi, realtors are 100% free to buyers in Colorado. If I can help further, please feel free to contact me by visiting http://www.jmontgomery.com. You'll find good information about relocation there as well.

Best! Julie Montgomery
Web Reference: http://www.jmontgomery.com
Hi Alison,

Looks like you have gotten many good answers to your question!
The most important thing to remember, is to find someone you are comfortable with and feel you can trust. Buying a home is a big decision and having the right Broker to guide you through the process is very important. As you are wanting to look a multiple areas a broker who is experienced with many of Denver's wonderful areas may be best, vs. a Broker who specialized in only one.

I am available if you are interested in speaking further.

Samantha Staples, CNE
Licensed Realtor
Keller Williams Denver Central
720-313-4439
staplessamantha@gmail.com
http://www.lovemydenverhome.com
Alison, I am a home buyer also,from out of town, not an agent. I can tell you it is not an easy thing. I had 2 agents before I had the one I have now and I found that they promise you the moon, but don't deliver. I would talk to them on the phone and they would have me convinced they would deliver the best service to me, and help me find exactly what I was looking for, but when it came right down to it, the only thing they wanted to do, is show what I called and asked to see. Which is the easy part. I have an excellent agent now, he actually goes to properties for me and checks them out and takes pictures for me and gives me a full description and tells me anything he sees that is troubling, or what he thinks is a positive. He will also talk to people he sees around to ask about the neighborhood. I gave him a list of my must haves and then what I would like and he searches the MLS every day and then forwards properties to me that meet that criteria. When I was there he offered to take me around to look at properties. He knows the area well and has driven 2 hours round trip to check on something for me. I recently closed a great deal on a property with his help, he knows a lot about offers in the current very competitive market. Please give him a call or send him an email, and he has a delightful british accent to boot! Michael Turner mturner@relogic.com His cell is 720-300-0889 Be sure and tell him Cindi recommended him! Good luck with your house hunt, and I am sure you will LOVE living in Denver!
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I will give him a call. thank you.
Flag Tue Jul 23, 2013
I can assist, I recently worked with many customers in this price range. Do you want a condo, attached home or a single family home? As far a an area, where are you going to work, what is your transportation and what do you like to do? How many Bedrooms, Bathrooms and do you want a garage & Yard? I will run a report for you as soon as I have the above information and an email.
My contact info: Julie RealEstateSellersandBuyers@gmail.com - 303-888-8438
Wow, looks like you've gotten a great response from a bunch of different agents! I'll add my two cents.

You don't mention why you're moving -- job? family? or just a change of scenery? If you're moving here for a job or to be close to family, then obviously it would be good to focus on areas that are near those things. Do you have children, and want to be in a good school district? Do you have certain hobbies, where you'd like to be close to things like biking/hiking trails, skiing, etc?

I'd be happy to set you up on my free property search site that will let you explore different areas.

http://www.searchwithsally.com

I've lived along Colorado's "Front Range" for 25 years, and I'm pretty familiar with most areas, from Ft Collins in the north, to Colorado Springs in the south.

I work with a lot of relocation clients, so I know the drill. I would be happy to show you around the area when you're here in October.

Sally Grenier
Metro Brokers
sallygrenier@msn.com
The Denver area is a stunning place, Alison. So glad you chose to come here to live!

As with many metro areas, the suburban communities offer the greater number of selections in a new build. However, the former Stapleton airport area is rather new.

You didn't mention children, so I would like to tell you about the great recreation and entertainment communities. Boulder gets a great deal of attention in the national press because it is one of the healthiest (and smartest) populations in the nation. Owing to the University and a concentration of federal agencies, the economy is probably the most stable, too. Wages tend to be higher. And the good news for everyone is it means there is a lot of interest in a wide range of foods. Boulder offers a rich diversity as well as recreation opportunities, including cycling, rock climbing, boating, etc. This is a very active community.

Boulder real estate is a bit out of your stated range, unless you are looking for town home. But surrounding communities have homes in that range. Building is occurring throughout Boulder County and Broomfield County as well as Adams County. The communities include Louisville, Niwot, Lafayette, Erie and Longmont. These communities have great walkability, too. Longmont has a number of trails.

Boulder County has been very committed to open space and keeping its agricultural heritage. If you want to learn more about the great legacy of parks and recreation areas, you can use this link to go to my blog:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/bouldersuz/2013/06/longmont_where…

You are welcome to email me, too:
bouldersuz@gmail.com
Hello Alison,

Talk to a few agents, find out if they have previously assisted anyone relocating and see if they will then give you a referral from that client that they helped to relocate. Make sure you feel a connection with that agent too.

Michael Turner
Lead Properties
720 300 0889
Ms Joseph,
In addition to what you read in earlier replies, I and my company can assist you in the sale of your home in Lewiston if you don't already have a preferred Realtor. Coordinating the sale and purchase through a single contact person can relieve you of many potential obstacles. Please give this approach some thought. I can make myself available to you throughout your entire visit in October.
Hi Alison,

I would be happy to assist you while you are here in October. As the others have stated, interview a few of the agents that have responded and decide who you feel is best suited to you and your needs. I can send you several testimonials from past clients if you'd like so that you can see how I work -- just email me at rlandau61@gmail.com or go on my website http://www.landau-properties.com to search some of the locations here in Denver. Green Valley Ranch is near the airport and is coming around as the latest area for people to move into. Prices definitely fall into your range as do many other areas.

You're welcome to call me at 303-502-4930 and we can chat for a few minutes. Do let me know if there's anything I can assist you with your search or questions.

Rochelle Landau
ABR, Realtor®
Cherry Creek Properties, LLC
303-502-4930
Hello Allison,

You are taking a smart approach by coming out to view properties in advance. $250,000 is a really hot price point in the Denver area. There are some good options although you should expect some strong competition for the limited amount of nicer homes in that price range. A lot will depend on size and condition of the homes. A trip here will help you narrow down the right community for you. Just like you will want the right neighborhood for you, you will want the 'right agent' for you and your particular needs.

Some of the areas to consider will be Park Hill, Green Valley Ranch (resale and new), Montclair and others in the Denver area. Reunion is north of Denver and there are some areas in SE Aurora that could work for you as far as new and existing homes. Corresponding with some good agents here in Denver will help you decide who to work with when you come. Of course, I will be glad to help. We also have Listing Alerts programs where we can send you all listings that meet your parameters in different neighborhoods and then update you with new listings and any change of status of the homes. You can then begin to see the trends in the areas that could work for you. Let me know how I can help you further.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
In addition to calling agents and getting your comfort level, I would also suggest that you ask for and check their references.
Many agents have worked situations exactly as you describe and should be able to give you a list of clients that they have helped through their search and transactions.
I have worked with several out of state clients over the past couple of years and understand how to make the process effective and FUN!
Good luck and welcome to Denver (soon).
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
720-318-7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
http://www.denverhomeguru.com
Hi Alison,
Call a few realtors from the Denver area and give them your criteria for your new home and neighborhood. A knowledgeable Denver realtor will be able to point you in the right direction to meet your needs.
I know within the first few minutes of a phone call if the person is really listening to me, and if we are connecting. Good luck to you.
Amie Morozs
Cherry Creek Properties
720-495-5705
http://www.realtortocall.com
I can assist, I recently worked with many customers in this price range. Do you want a condo, attached home or a single family home? As far a an area, where are you going to work, what is your transportation and what do you like to do? How many Bedrooms, Bathrooms and do you want a garage & Yard? I will run a report for you as soon as I have the above information and an email. My contact info: Julie RealEstateSellersandBuyers@gmail.com - 303-888-8438
Alison,

Choose an agent who knows and specializes in Denver areas you are interested in, check the recommendations and other information about an agent, have a phone conversation and see if you are compatible.

Best of luck with your move to Denver!

Marina Bay
Cherry Creek Properties
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent to represent you. EBAs represent home buyers only, and work to get you the best price and most favorable terms. You can go to NAEBA.org for a referral to an EBA in your area.

I'm an EBA and I wrote a book called "Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You". It will be the best $6 you've ever spent.

Best of luck!
Hi Alson, I would be happy to take you on an orientation tour and show you some homes in various areas. My team partner and I are Denver natives and have more than 20 years of Denver real estate experience between us. As a team, at least one if us is always available to our clients 7 days a week, so we can easily cater to your schedule when you visit in the fall.

Please feel free to contact us via phone or email anytime. You may also seach the the MLS from our website.

Jesse Dixon & Jim Foster
303-229-5347
Info@eDenverProperties.com
http://www.eDenverProperties.com
Good Morning Alison,

You will love living in the Denver area and in Colorado.
There are a lot of wonderful communities in the Denver area.

There are so many questions to ask and answer.

One important questions is where are you going to be working.
Do you want to live fairly close to work.

I partner with my wife, Donna. We have been Realtor for 11 years in the Denver Area.

WE would love to talk to you about what your move to the Denver area.
You can reach us at 720-530-5553 or rich@thefoersterteam.com

Good Luck in your adventure.

Rich Foerster
Hi Alison,

OK good on the communte.
I am bias to the south side of the Denver Metro area.
I live in Parker, CO which is south east of Denver.
The communities south of Denver are Parker, Castle Rock, Highlnads Ranch, Lone Tree which are in Douglas county and has very good schools.
Another very good school district is cherry creek. The parts of the following communites are in the cherry creek school distric, Centennial, South Aurora and Englewood.
I would love to chat with you on the phone (720-530-5553)
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
I work from home fulltime, and my husband will most likely be working all over the area so a "commute" doesn't really factor into our decision. We do have children, so decent schools are important to us.
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
Can refer you do one of my experience agents I know that has worked the reunion area for a long time

George 303-877-5566 NMLSR 413469
Alison, I would be happy to talk with you about different area around Denver Metro area. Feel free to call me at 303-913-5858 and we can talk over the phone to see if we are a good match. I am client focused and would want to find out about your interests and where you work (location from work to home is important). I'm originally from Pennsylvania but don't think I can ever move back. Good luck.

Cheers,
Nina Kuhl
303-913-5858