Home Buying in Goose Island>Question Details

Alexlin25, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

How to find the best fit for buying and selling?

Asked by Alexlin25, Chicago, IL Sun Dec 8, 2013

I see a lot of experts on here who consistently provide very good suggestions! Kudos to them for helping us learn more about real estates! I also see many titles. Such as agents, brokers. What are the difference in function? Or are they basically the same?

Answers

21
Alex,

All of he different titles should be related to the they type of question you are asking. If you have a question about "home buyer" place your question under the title "home buyer". This way when all of us broker receive the email we know immediately what type of question needs to be answered.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

I've had a book published on Amazon called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a house without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.helpubuyamerica.com
I'd say we're all the same, some have been doing it longer, and some do it part time. meet with a few agents and see who you trust and like.
Interview each of them. Work with the agent/broker that you feel most comfortable with.
a tittle is nothing more than a person who took a test.. look at sales history
The only way to do it is to call real estate agents in your area and ask them questions. Weed out the ones who don't fit for you, get it down to 3 and then interview them in person. Be careful that you don't rush the meetings and give each agent a chance to show you how they work. We are all different and bring different perspectives to the table.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Hey Alex,

By now you've got the answer - they're all the same - some people just think one title sounds fancier than others and that's the one they go with. I'm a Realtor at the end of the day. It's what the majority of people recognize and I'm able to work for you whether you are a buyer, seller, landlord, investor or renter!

With that said, if you are actively looking to get your process started - whether it's buying or selling a home (or both) I would ask that you check out my Trulia profile as well as my Realtor website in order to get an idea of who I am, the work that I've done and to also read my past client testimonials which I hope will help me stand out above the rest when you're deciding who to work with.

If you have any questions I'm always available via phone or email so if you'd like to chat about what you're interested in doing, asking for advice, etc. just let me know and I'm available!

Jeff Stewart
REALTOR®, @properties
3101 N. Greenview Avenue, Chicago, IL 60657
309-269-3499 CELL | 773-305-0480 FAX
jeffstewart@atproperties.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Hopefully, you are not more confused at this point. What type of service are you looking for? Are you a buyer, seller, renter, landlord?

Mark Malave
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
A broker is an agent, a lawyer is an agent, an accountant is an agent. Anyone you hire how owes you a duty of care, regulated by the state or a profession license, is an agent.

A "broker" is specific to real estate. It is now the minimum level you must have to represent the public in buying and selling in the state of Illinois. You may have a lesser license if you only represent rental property.

A Realtor is a broker who has joined the National Association of Realtors, and pays dues for membership. It is not required if you are a broker, but it opens up other resources that one would not have access to without membership.

A Realtor is a broker and an agent. A broker is an agent and may or may not have join NAR to also use the Realtor designation. It is a violation of the ethics rules to use the title "Realtor" without actual membership. An agent can be a broker, or any other profession that legally has a duty of care that is much higher than ordinary care.

Different companies may put different titles on their business cards based on personal preference.

I hope this clears this up for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
To find the best Realtor you need to interview a few people and see who is the best fit for you. Ask them many questions and see who you click with. You may spend a lot of time with this person so do not be afraid to ask many questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Glad that you are learning about the real estate , agents and brokers are the same in Illinois.

Muy bien que estas aprendiendo acerca del sistema inmobiliario en Chicago ,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013

Now that you know about the titles used in real estate, I'd suggest picking a few of the experts on here and checking out their websites and/or read their public reviews on sites like Trulia, Angie's List or Yelp. Then call or email a few and ask questions about your buying and selling needs. From the conversations, you should be able to find the best fit for you.

Best of luck!

Sari Levy
Managing Broker
Lucid Realty
http://www.lucidrealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Agents and brokers are now the same in Illinois. The only difference is a managing broker. This means you can own and operate your own office.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Agents represent individuals and associate with brokerages. However, to add to the confusion, Illinois recently changed our title to "Broker", so technically we are all Brokers now. I am a buyers agent that works the north side from Irving Park north. If you are looking in those areas let me know how I can help you.
Web Reference: http://Www.markmalave.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
In Illinois there are brokers aka agents or Realtors. And managing brokers who oversee the brokers.
Contact a few, have a conversation to get a feel until you find one you feel good about!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Depends on the state, but typically, agents are under brokers and brokers have agents working with them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
what used to be an agent is now a broker and what used to be a broker is a managing broker. The managing broker oversee the actions of their brokers

Interview 3 broker or managing brokers and work with the one you feel is the best fit for you
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Broker, agent, all the titles are the same. Call a couple people on here, meet with them and work with the person you trust the most. There are a lot of good agents, but there are also a lot of bad ones. Choose wisely.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Law changed recently where all agents must have brokers license yet only some have broker manager designation. When you own your own office you must be a broker manager and when you work for someone else you are considered a broker associate.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
As of last year we ALL are called Brokers, per rule changes. Before a Broker had, in theory, more background/education/experience than agents, but that was not really true which is why they changed it. They are basicly the same. Find one that has been in business longer than shorter and preferably been in business before all the 'bubble' BS that started in 2002ish.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013