Home Buying in Marble>Question Details

Kathy Gabner, Home Buyer in Murphy, NC

How to find comps, if there aren't any in area?

Asked by Kathy Gabner, Murphy, NC Thu Apr 17, 2014

Estimator says finished basement is no usable space, has heat, air, bedrm. Bath, outside entrance and windows ?

Answers

4
There are other reasons it might nor be included in total sq ft: was the work to finish basement permitted and what is the head height of the space?
Get a second opinion - I think that's worth a shot if you're potentially looking to lose square footage.
Not sure I agree with either the estimator or the comment that if it's only accessible from the outside it won't be counted. Homes with accessory apartments (legal) in the basement are listed with that space included in their total square footage. Sounds, to me, like the "estimator" just doesn't wish to change his/her report?
If the basement is accessible from within the home and it's heated it can most likely be included in square footage. If the only way to get into the basement is from outside it won't be included in the total square footage of the home.
Learn more at http://www.WhoIsMikeParks.com