Home Buying in Sun Prairie>Question Details

Gregory J. M…, Renter in Cottage Grove, WI

How to determine if flooding would be an issue in a new subdivision with no history?

Asked by Gregory J. Mcmillan, Cottage Grove, WI Tue May 25, 2010

Upon a showing of a home the basement had signs of moisture in it. I noticed a sump pump lying on the floor and could hear a different sump pump pumping out water. The sump pump doing the pumping was simply discharging water from a pvc pipe within a few feet of the home leading me to believe the water was simply running down back into the foundation while the unplugged sump pump had the discharge hose also outside leading to the road but of course wasn’t hooked up. The home is somewhat (75yds) close to a creek and has not been landscaped yet to dissipate water. I’m concerned about flooding within a proximity to a creek. I’ve also looked at a GIS flood map from the Wisconsin DNR and noticed the 1% zone or 1 year every 100 is not too far from the area. I’m simply concerned about flooding? Any thoughts?

Answers

4
If you hear a sump pump pumping you already have your answer. If it is that close to a 100 year flood zone it could be in a 300 year flood zone.

The real issue is that the natural ground water (or rain water) could be an issue. It sounds like you think that is a possibility here. A sump pump should not be running all the time if no problems exist. After a heavy rain it could be expected as a lot of water arrived.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 25, 2010
Here is a link to the FEMA flood maps. You can search by address.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 25, 2010
Check the FEMA flood plain maps. They get updated, so check for the most recent map. Properties that were once NOT in a flood plain can be included in newer maps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 25, 2010
Yes, I agree, if you hear a sump pump running, there is a possible issue. One of the steps I encourage my Buyers to do with all homes, they may have an interest in, is to check the pit for wter. If it has not rained in a few days and there is water, there could be issues. It sounds like your case definitely has some water issues. My husband is a developer and is very familiar with concerns like yours. If you are working with an agent, ask them to research the issue. this is not something that you want to deal with after the closing. If you do not have an agent, I would love to work with you.I have been a real estate agent for 7 years and in the top sales for my market center for all 7 years. I love my job and would love to be your agent. My website is http://WWW.JUDYANDCOMPANY.COM, my email: judybraund@kw.com, phone 608-235-0431.