Home Buying in Crown Heights>Question Details

A.Nechyporov, Just Looking in

How to choose a real estate agent?

Asked by A.Nechyporov, Wed Jan 8, 2014

Answers

56
Good Afternoon, Mr. A.Nechyporov!
There are a thousands of real estate agents in Brooklyn. And it is really very hard to choose the one, who will make the process of purchasing a home for you really smooth. Of`course, it is always better to have a friends, who have some experience and can recommend someone. But if not, you can always check who from real estate agents work in your preferable area and choose one, who have a large amount of listings and is always available to show you his properties!
Wish you good luck!
Thank you this is very helpful, since i had one bad experience with one agent already..Still trying to get over how some ppl can be so rude & dishonest.
Flag Sun Jan 12, 2014
If they ride a harley you can trust em. Also must like fishing
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 21, 2014
You're funny. I'm trust worthy then. How about you?
Flag Wed Jan 22, 2014
dont use an agent. i have sold 2 houses both of which the agent told me i could get much less than what i asked. do your own research see what houses siimilar in sf and bedroom/bathroom and land sell in your area for, not just your neighborhood. i put my houses at the high end. didn't have to come down any on the price for 1 and came down $2000 on the price for the other. Lawyers can write up the purchase agreement. in my state they have to be approved by a lawyer and everything goes thru the lawyer anyway. no agent could show my houses as well as i could. i know all the great things about them. not only did i got what i wanted for my houses i didn't have to give a commission to someone that didnt do anything.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the input -- how do you get your home on MLS?
Flag Tue Jan 21, 2014
If you choose the most productive agent in your market area, you probably won't be hiring an agent but a "TEAM" Eighty percent of those who get licensed each year are out of the business in two years. So, at any give time if you just pick an agent, you're probably going to be dealing with someone who's on their way out of real estate or an agent who is insulated from his or her clients by five or six (or more) licensed agents who do the "grunt" work while the "superstar" gets the credit. In between these extremes are agents who survived the two-year cut but who don't take more clients than they can serve personally. The superstar agents operate on the "if you throw enough stuff up against the wall some of it will stick" premise; being primarily interested in how many deals they can do, not caring who they help. How do I know? I used to have five licensed assistants and two unlicensed. I had clients that I had never met. So, the choice comes down to this: do you want personal service or do you want to be a statistic.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 13, 2014
A GREAT team will have their listing and buyer agents working through them in the same manner in which that particular agent has trained them. Any agent worth their salt will have a great team surrounding them or they wouldn't be a success at all. An agent's reputation is incredibly important to them and their future business.
Flag Tue Jan 14, 2014
Find a Realtor who you can trust and feel confident with. Pick someone who listens and is up front with you and sometimes may tell you things you don't want to hear. They may have been in business for 10 years or less than one, but ask how they will market your property. Are they using video and social media? Find an agent with a creative marketing approach.
Ultimately it's about finding the right home for you. Let's narrow down the homes that are not right. Let's disqualify all but a few. Let's not waste your time. Do you want to view 24 homes or visit the 3 or 4 that you like so much you're having problems deciding?
John Willman
John@JaxHouseSales.com
Keller Williams First Coast Realty
904-866-0043
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 13, 2014
I recommend that you visit several open houses and watch the Real Estate Agents at work. From the Agents you've observed, you can narrow down one who you feel will be a good match for you. Afterwards plan a meeting to see if the Aent has the knowledge and experience you are looking for.

It's important to find an Agent who enjoys helping you find a home, and is willing to wait along with you to find the perfect home; whether it's the first home you visit or the 25th before you purchase. The best Agents CARES about you, and will recommend that you use your instincts along with their Professional guidance. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 12, 2014
I try to listen to what my prospects wants and needs are.....really listen. I then try to put myself into their shoes and I just tell them like it is as if I would be buying the home. I know there are agents who have had more experience than myself and more listings but the clients I have worked with have said they appreciate my honesty.

Brad
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 12, 2014
Choose a agent that seems like they are out to help you make the best home selection not one thats just wants to make a sale. Realtors should be helpful, patient and willing to go that extra mile for there client. Buying a home is one of the biggest purchases a person will make in there life. Therefore select a realtor who is professional, and diligent in there service.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 12, 2014
Seek someone in your area with a positive track record, good reputation & experience that listens and would have your goals in mind first. A full-time professional that exhibits enthusiasm, energy, knowledge and organization. We are in the people business ... working with people thru challenges is a must. An agent that you feel confident would treat you as a family member or a trusted friend!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 12, 2014
When you want to buy a home the best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.helpubuyamerica.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 8, 2014
Very old question, but the answer remains the same. Hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent to represent you. EBAs represent homebuyers only, so there is no conflict of interest to jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral.

Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You! Follow the link below.

Alysse Musgrave
Consumer Advocate
Exclusive Buyer Agent
http://HelpUBuyAmerica.com
To find a good real estate agent, you first want to make sure you can work well with them. This is so incredibly important, because if they aren't easy to cooperate with, it can be really difficult to get the help you need. You will also want to be sure that they are honest and give you good information. If you have these qualities, I think that the agent will be very helpful and be able to get you the house that you want! http://www.artdelreyrealtyinc.com
Be sure to check their standings with the Association of Realtors in your area. This will provide you with reviews - both good and bad - for the agent you are considering. Also, NEVER (and I mean NEVER) use the same agent for yourself and the other party. I really got burned so please learn from my hard lesson. Good luck to you!
In real estate, this may be the $64,000 question.

Pretty?
Well dressed?
Friend of a friend?
Lives in the community?
Drive a shinny expensive car?
Never shuts up?
When called you get voice mail 90% of the time?
Doesn't return calls?
Seems to not be paying attention?

These indicators may or may not be reliable criteria when trying to identify an agent.
Funny!
Flag Tue Feb 25, 2014
Visit Dave Ramsey's website and look for an approved realtor who has taken Dave's classes and knows what he/she is doing. They've got a pretty good handle on what's happening. And you are usually better off with a "buyer's agent", who represents mostly buyers if you are a buyer; sellers do better with "seller's agent".

A realtor may represent both sides in a home purchase, but there is quite a conflict in my opinion.
References from your own friends can be a good place to start. Find an agent you like and think you can trust. Then check their experience and credentials carefully before making any commitment.
Boy, as you read through this you can tell who has had a good experience and who has not. I think the best place to start is with a referral. If a friend or family member used an agent and liked the way they worked and marketed the home, that is an excellent place to start. Talk to any referrals you have. if you call and it takes them several days to answer you probably want to put them near the bottom of your list. As you talk with each agent really listen to them. Do you relate to what they are saying. Your should be working closely with this person whether you are a buyer or a seller so you want someone you like. Next how well do they know their stuff - do they have a marketing plan, have they shown you houses similar to yours that have sold and are currently on the market, have they provided you with at least a preliminary estimated of what you will realize from you sale in several scenarios. If you are a buyer, is the agent listening to you - what your want and what you feel comfortable with in monthly payments and not just what your lender says you can afford. Whether you are a buyer or a seller this is an emotional experience so find someone that care about you.
Also, find your home inspector. do NOT use the one the real estate agent uses.
In some cases this may be true. In others, not so much.
Flag Wed Jan 22, 2014
this is one of the most inportant person in this transacion , and keep this in your mind you're in CHARGE, research your real state agent, so look for references and get an idea of ​​how he or her works, some real state agent never update themselfs :( be careful especially if you have a question and your real state agent dont have the answer.
209-952-8806
To all the sellers of residential real estate,looking to hire a Realtor to list and sell there homes.
First you must trust and be able to communicate with your Realtor.
You must feel that your Broker is experienced and has knowledge of the proper way to market your home. You should ask to see what other properties they have sold, and also you must take their
advice on how to present and stage your home so that it shows and is viewed by the buyers in the best possible lite. You should ask for a marketing strategy.You should ask questions,like how many open houses,what web-sites you will use,and all advertising questions. You must feel like your Realtor is available and is easy to answer any thoughts or concerns you have as soon as possible.
Good Luck
Referrals are definitely the best way to go. You can also interview agents before picking one.
How you find an agent is probably somewhat unique to your personality. But you can Google them to overview an online presence and have some interactions, to see how you relate.
I like to meet buyers and sellers at Open Houses or other face to face encounters. And of course referrals are the best. My goal is to begin a relationship. This means I help them in some way to move forward. Agents have access to so much information and it often does not take much time to be helpful in a big way.
In the end it will depend on the agent's interactions, persistence and ability to demonstrate knowledge and trustworthiness. An agent needs to be friendly and understanding but also professional. Buying or selling a home is an emotional proposition.
My advice is that you interview no less than 2 people and make sure they are active, full time Realtors. Knowledge, experience, and a track record for success are all very important. You are hiring the person to represent you in a very large financial transaction so make sure you hire the best person for the job as well as the best person for you. I do not agree that referrals from family or friends should be the #1 criteria for who you should hire. While that can be a great place to start the interview process make sure to due your due diligence. I know too many horror stories of people who had a terrible experience with a Realtor in the past and when I ask "why did you hire them?" the response is "He/she worked with my..." friend/aunt/cousin, you can fill in the blank. If you are a buyer you want to have a buyer consultation meeting and if you are a seller you want to have a market analysis or seller consultation. If selling you want to know things like what the agent's list price/sales price ratio is, average days on market, % of listings taken to listings sold, # listings sold in last 12 months. Ask questions and hire the person you determine has the best qualifications and you feel is a good fit for your style, wants and needs. Good luck!
For the record, I am a licensed Realtor in the state of CT. After posting I saw it labeled me as "Home Buyer, Sharon, CT" Though I do buy homes, I am a full time, licensed Realtor with Keller Williams Realty in West Hartford CT.
Flag Mon Jan 13, 2014
This should be easy. Do they show you the homes when you need them to? Do they know a lot about the construction of a home. have they built them and do they live in the area and know the schools
It takes years to live in the area and know what a homeowner is asking or wants he should also have good home inspectors and trusted loan help if you need them. He or she needs to be there and show you the sales and prices in the area so you know the average price, and price per sq ft so you do not under sell or over pay for the home
Referrals from friends who have recently bought or sold a home are your best resource. Call the agent and see how quickly they get back to you and can meet with you. You want an agent that is current on what is happening in the market and a good communicator. Find one that can work with your schedule - can you only see homes during the week, or evenings, or only on weekends. How quickly can they get you in to see a home? And you want an agent that cares about you and your finances - what you feel comfortable with and not just how much can you afford to spend. If you are new to the buying or selling process, you want someone who will take the time to go over things with you and answer your questions.
Finding the right agent is an interview process. You may be spending a lot of time with this person so you want to find someone you like and trust.
Dear Mr. or Ms. Nechyporov,

This is a very valid question and one which deserves a thoughtful answer. I have been in the real estate business for over 20 years and believe that agent Hyatt from Sacramento, CA "hit the nail on the head" with his description of what to look for in a good agent. Also, agent Elizabeth from Arlington, TX made an excellent point when she advises to make sure you go with an agent who has recently sold something since you want to be sure you work with someone who is familiar with the ins and outs of current contracts and is good at negotiating to help you get the best deal possible.

Usually referrals from a trusted source are your best bet so good luck in getting the best agent in the area of your choice.

If you happen to be looking in the Daytona Beach, Florida area, I'd love to help you. Good luck!

Anne Busse-Gandt, Broker
Country Club Properties of Spruce Creek
386-756-6105
anne@cc-properties.com
When buying a home, the best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home without getting ripped off Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.HelpUBuyamerica.com
word of mouth from friends, etc.,; choose someone familiar with the area you are interested in; check the reputation the ; agency; interview more than one agent; beware of high pressure tactics
I would say, as a few agents here have stated, that referrals from friends are a great place to start. Be sure to ask a few friends as everyone connects differently with people. Just like when you ask people for their recommendations for other service providers - physicians, attorneys, electricians, etc., - people often have different experiences with the same person so remember to speak to a few. I feel that agents should spend as much time - if not more, with potential purchasers as with those interested in selling their homes. The real estate process has become very detailed and complicated over time and the details can be overwhelming. Make sure you choose someone who can keep you informed while keeping a cool head about them during your search, sale and purchase.
Talk to at least four different agents, find out how you two communicate with each othe. No one likes to do business with someone you don't like. You'll know by voice that you can work together and your agent will do his best to find you the best deal.
Professional Regards,
Danny Ebersold
dannyebersold@watsonrealtycorp.com
904-806-2772
Most agents have a general level of competency about real estate. Things I'd emphasize and hold the agent accountable for throughout your transaction:

-excellent communication (even when there is no new news to report) in your preferred mode of contact;

-high degree of competency with technology (most agents are not very tech savvy although >75% of people use the internet to find their home);

-negotiation skills are a must. Look for someone with a sales or business management background, and who is outgoing and well spoken to represent you.

-foremost, your agent should be an ACTIVE agent, focused 100% on their real estate career. Too many agents are only in real estate part time, on the weekends, or by accident.
Web Reference: http://HyattSimons.com
Don't be afraid to ask the hard questions when interviewing a few agents in your area. Before scheduling the interviews, ask yourself what are the main things that will be important to you in this business relationship. The agent should be a good listener, someone who is more excited to PARTNER with you and your desired goals than he/she is about "selling" himself to you.
Plain and simple find the best in your area and schedule an interview. If your not totally confident find the next best two agents. Strong agents produce and market constantly so finding them should be easy. The rigt agent can be a difference of lost time and a lot of money.
I believe that communication skills are key.
I totally disagree with this 1st blog, saying the more listings an agent has the better he is going to be. Well he may be better, at reeling in clients and signing the documents to get paid, but realistically he doesn't have time to give you the kind of service, that you want and need. My approach is to totally get every duckling in a row, towards finding a property for buyers. Same thing with listing a property, for a seller. It is not about the money for me, it's about doing the job to the fullest. If everyone of my clients has total service, all set up, then all I have to do is keep in touch with them and keep pursuing more properties for them to view. Most customers tend to call the realtor whose face they have seen the most on signs and mailings. Sure they're going to show off their listings, they want everyone to know so they will come and buy from them. Realtors know that each and every one of us, has access to every property out there on the MLS. We also know that, sure we can make double the money by selling our listing to a client buyer. Realistically, it is dangerous for a Realtor to represent a dual agency. If he is listing a home, his 1st fiducial responsibility is to the Seller who is listing with this Realtor. I have done a couple contracts, their dual agency and had good success, but I could see along the way how it can get touchy. I was fortunate to be able to serve both sides of the sale, to the fullest. It's like going into the courthouse and someone is suing you were accusing you, and you ask their attorney to represent you in this case. Enough out of me, but the tip I would give potential clients, is the 1st in the realtor starts down talking another realtor or real estate company, then run from that realtor as far as you can go, to get away.
TENACITY ~~ AGGRESSIVENESS ~~ FLAIR ~~ RECENTLY SOLD SOMETHING

+ You want an Agent that doesn't easily give up.

+You want an agent that will pursue every lead that showed even the slightest interest in your house.

+Puts Flair into your listing, be it in the form of staging, marketing materials, or MLS information.

+ If an agent hasn't sold something recently then that agent may not be as successful as he/she
pretends to be.

I'M HERE TO ASSIST YOU!
By your instinct first. Someone that is familiar with the area and has a tract record. More does not mean better. The more listings means they are a good agent, but how much time is the agent going to have for you and your needs?
Interview several Realtors before hiring anyone. Face -to-face meetings will give you the best results. You and your Realtor must be able to honestly communicate and like one another to be successful. If you take the time to do this I assure you that you will know the right person when you meet them.
You can research agents in your area on Trulia & even call agents to get a fill for them over the phone. Then you can select an agent that you feel good about & that you're confident will represent you well. Good luck on your search!
My suggestion for finding your real estate agent would be:

1. Someone who LISTENS to you. This is the type of Realtor that will actively seek out YOUR NEED then proceed accordingly.

2. Depending on YOUR NEED, it is important the Realtor explains everything in detail to you in order to understand the steps of buying, selling or renting.

3. Choosing a Realtor that will show you the VALUE in the real estate being shown to you.

Getting a recommendation from someone that has had a positive experience is always best, however, when you cannot get a referral then interview several Realtors as needed. Watch how they present themselves. Ask yourself, do they appear interested in helping me? Does this individual seem knowledgeable of the area? It would be advantageous to have a prepared list of questions based on what you are looking for.

Carol Lozito
Blue Horizon Realty
954-592-3331
carollozito@aol.com
Get a local agent who knows the area and the other agents and has a good reputation. Ask your friends ,or call the local office and ask.
Best way to choose a Realtor is to feel the comfort and trust after your first meeting. Listening skills and communication skills are very important. Call their referrals. Doesn't have to be a neighborhood specialist as at times Realtors, especially teams, can take on most of the listings and then poor feedback and carry through occurs. Realtors need to be in constant communication with their Clients and negotiate well through the whole process. Years of experience do help, but there are so many Realtors that have strong back grounds in sales and marketing.
I think the most important thing for you to find out is if this person is interested in you and what you desire, or most interested in talking about her/his accomplishments. A good realtor will want to be a good "Listener" and learn everything possible about you and want you want in a house or if you are selling, will want to hear from you what you think your home is worth.
After the above has been established, then they can talk about themselves and how they can help you and make you happy..Good luck. Becky http://www.beckysellslasvegas.com
My best advice is to look for an agent who is going to do more than just throw your home on the MLS, stick a sign in the ground and cross their fingers hoping for the best. You'd be surprised just how many agents are out there that do nothing other than what I mentioned above. Ask the agent to describe exact how they market their listings, do they do it actively or passively?

Also, ask them what their sales to list price ratio is. This is a very telling statistic that will tell you right off the bat whether or not they are BS'ing you in regards to what they want to list your home for. If the price they're telling you that they can get for your home sounds unrealistic, it probably is. Don't fall into the trap of allowing an agent to "buy your listing" meaning overpricing it and locking you into a 6 month contract.
Kyle, what does it gain the agent to buy your listing as you say and locking you into a 6 month contract? That sounds like the predicament my husband and I are in right now. Can you actually hire an agent to sell your house without signing a contract?
Flag Mon Jan 13, 2014
1 2