Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Harry, Home Buyer in Liverpool, IL

How to Find Out If Any Deaths Occurred in the Property in Chicago / Cook County?

Asked by Harry, Liverpool, IL Thu Mar 7, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am looking for 1b1b unit in Chicago / Cook County. After reading the article out here (http://www.ehow.com/how_7346852_out-deaths-occurred-house.html), I try to know if any police/ county/ city department can offer a report, which says any criminal or death occurrence in the building of interest, from the time it was built to now. I called Chicago district police and they can only pull out recent records. I also called Chicago police head quarter record and quiry department. However, they can only give you the related record if you own the unit. So I wonder if any county or municipal or police department can provide such a report? I am willing to pay nominal fees for this report. Otherwise, if this unit was the home of a serial killer in 60s then I will have a hard time to sell it in the future. Any comment will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
John

Answers

8
Harry,

You have your research cut out for you. If it was in the 60's it may be hard to get any information.

Best of Luck
John-
There is no database for this, and as you can see, most of us think it is a moot point. You have a btter chance of being hit by lightning than of buying a home owned by a serial killer in the 60's (or any other decade).
Don't over think it. Invite you parish priest over and have him bless the home prior to moving in and repeat in early January every year.
Really ???
Serial Killer hard to sell?"
Death records are filed by name, but....
The long time neighbors will probably tell you some stories if you ask nice and let them talk.
People die and are born in all kinds of places we all go to everyday-just part of life.
You stated "if this unit was the home of a serial killer in 60s then I will have a hard time to sell it in the future".

It is of my opinion that there is no truth or weight to that statement. Buyers generally do not research this and appraisers do not take this into consideration when valuing a property.
John, a great discussion about this (death in a house) on LinkedIn. In most states you are required to disclose a recent death or other stigmatizing event, Illinois is in the minority of states where it is not. Important to know if you are working with a relocating buyer who may expect this to be part of the disclosure process.
Flag Fri Mar 8, 2013
Hello John,

As an agent you are not required to disclose any deaths or stigmas about the home. This can work two ways, you can market the home to your average nice family looking to move buyer or if there was a serial killer living in the house, you can market the property to a specific gore and blood group. Either way it's not necessary to explain what happened in the home. Good luck
Best bet is to ask around the neighborhood for information and go from there. There are plenty of groups in Cook and Kenosha Counties that research these things. You can try one of them. Just spend a little time looking the groups up online - you'll find several.