Home Buying in Des Moines>Question Details

Alicia K, Home Buyer in Des Moines, IA

How soon should we start looking for a house?

Asked by Alicia K, Des Moines, IA Tue Oct 29, 2013

My fiance and I are getting married the end of May and want to buy a home. We don't plan to move in together until we're married but he would be able to move in beforehand. I have a lease and roommates so I'm stuck until after the wedding. He's really nervous about getting everything figured out as quickly as possible but I'm worried he'll get stuck on a house that won't end up being available when we actually go to buy one. Neither of us has owned a home before so the entire process is new to us and we both are pretty uncertain of what our next steps should be!

Answers

9
Alicia: Great time to start is now. Visit with a lender get pre approved and don't look at maximum amount you can be approved for. Look at about living one income and saving the other. Unless uh our jobs are real stable and promotions or raises coming soon money problems put a real strain on a relationship. So if he can qualify for a loan on his own prior to marriage that is a good way to go. Hopefully he can be settled prior to the big day because buying a home and getting married is a lot to handle and is more fun if less stressful. If you plan to be moving in less than 7 years buying may not make sense. I also would look at the some of the no money down and no mortgage insurance loans. All that being said go to some open houses interview some agents and take your time. Rates are low but who knows where they will go. I specialize in first time home buyers so would love to one of the agents that you consider. Congradulations exciting time in your life. Bob Darr 707-9244 your peoples agent! ★★★★★
Hi Alicia,

Starting now is a great time to educate yourself and meet with a lender. If you don't have a lender I can help provide contacts. A first time homebuyer loan offers many advantages to you and you are in a great position to take advantage of it! I am a Century 21 agent and our company offers a Buyers Advantage Program! If you purchase your home through me and within 12 months decide you are not happy with it - I will re-list the home at no Listing side fees. You will not pay me a commission at all if you want to sell your home! That is the commitment we make to our Buyers that we are going to make sure you find the right home! Please give me a call so I can further share what I have to offer you as your agent. 515-661-4553!

Lisa Reilly
Century 21 SRE
Urbandale, IA
licensed in Iowa
Hi Alicia. I've helped a number of homebuyers in situations very similar to yours. I also teach a homebuyers class and together, the three of us can find you a great home and time this right so you can fully enjoy your new home and your big day. Just call me.
Jason Vermeer
Iowa Realty
Beaverdale office
515-401-8018
Alicia:

I would be delighted to meet with you to give you one on one guidance regarding the ins and outs of purchasing your first home. I will listen to hear what timing and objectives are of the greatest importance to you, then proceed accordingly. I would also be happy to introduce you to a mortgage lender so she could answer your questions regarding the financing piece of the puzzle. Please feel free to give me a call at 515-250-1792 or respond to me via email at cloven@iowarealty.com. I love to work with first time home buyers--I hope to hear from you soon.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Connie Loven, Realtor
Iowa Realty
3521 Beaver Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50310

Licensed to sell real estate in Iowa
Hi Alicia
I wouldn't wait to buy because interest rates are predicted to rise in 2014 and even 1% increase in the rate will make a difference on the amount of home you can buy. If he can move in and you can afford it, I would get started! Rates are really good right now.
One of the biggest advantages you can allow yourself it time to plan ahead! The sooner you have an experienced and responsible lender review your information, the sooner you can make sure all the pieces (credit score/profile, income, debts & your budget) line up as best possible. There are a lot of little things that can be done to accomplish the highest level underwriting/program approval possible. I would suggest you start now and then you can know what items you may need to work on and what items are ready to go as is.

Congrats on the upcomming wedding and if you want to run through any questions, just let me know...charles@chedester.com or 515-221-0321 x104. You can catch some short/education videos that I have if you visit http://www.chedester.com or search me on YouTube.

Charlie

:)
After finding the right home it will take 30 -45 days to close on it before you can move in. It would be great to have a decent amount of time to look for the right home so add another 30-45 days. Financing is required and takes about 30 days to get everything together so you are ready so right after the first of the year you should start getting ready. Here is one issue. Rates are extremely low right now so doing this as soon as possible would be prudent. I would meet with you sometime soon and start looking at your location and wishes to see what availability you might have for what you will want and the adjust that timeline accordingly.
Lance Hanson
Re/Max Real Estate Concepts
Hi Alicia
I'm hosting a home buyers class on November 7th from 6-7:30 PM at my office in West Des Moines. I have a lender also speaking and we go through the whole process. Email me at erin@erinrundall.com and I'll send you an invite. If that date doesn't work we can schedule a private meeting on another date.
Erin
Hi Alicia! Great question. It's never to early to start with the home finding process. To get started I recommend meeting with a lender to make sure your financing is in order. From there that will give you an idea of what you guys are approved for and what price range to start your search. Looking online and attending open house is a great way to get your feet wet. If you would like to live in the home by May I suggest around February is a good time to start getting serious about finding a home and contacting a realtor, like myself! I work in and around the Des Moines area for RE/MAX Real Estate Concepts and specialize helping first time home buyers. I would be happy to schedule a time to meet with you to educate you guys about the home buying process and setting up your expectations. I could also recommend some loan products that you may want to take advantage of as a first time home buyer. Good luck to the both of you, it sounds like your journey in life together is about ready to begin! Congratulations! If I can be of help give me a call at 515-577-7729 or email me at angela@angelameek.com.