Home Buying in Montclair>Question Details

Mrs G, Home Buyer in Montclair, NJ

How safe is Forest Street between Bloomfield and Claremont? Would you buy a house there?

Asked by Mrs G, Montclair, NJ Mon Apr 22, 2013

I have been looking at a house on that road but I am unsure how safe the area is.

Answers

8
My office is one block west and I feel safe there working late at night. Our parking lot abuts the lot for 14-16 Forest. There is an increasing amount of foot traffic for restaurants/venues on Bloomfield and Glenridge Ave. and commuters going to Walnut st/ Bay st. stations.
Mrs G,
I suggest you drive by the neighborhood in the morning also in the evening to see for yourself. Talk to people while you are there ask questions. Feeling safe is really relative to the person. Also you can try the link http://www.city-data.com/ that provides information on any city. I would also ask the local police.

Allen
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 16, 2013
Mrs. G.
Well, so, don't keep us all guessing. Did you buy it or not?
Got warm today, finally.
Jonathan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 24, 2013
Mrs. G.

Speak to the owners of the house that you are interested in. I would also suggest that you make a call or visit the local Police Department and speak to them about safety and crime in that area..

Good Luck .

Carol
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 23, 2013
I am wondering the same thing, is that street safe? I am afraid of car damage for street parking.
I sold a condo to someone on that block of Forest and have rented to apartments there and so far no one is unhappy or feels unsafe.
One way to find out about crime levels in a neighborhood is to use Google. Search the street name and surrounding streets's names along with words like "crime" or "police activity". See what comes up and if you would feel safe. Ask neighbors. Visit at different times of the day and night.
Dear Mrs. G.
This is a very good question. I will ponder it and get back to you shortly.
In the meantime, I wish you the very best of your quest to find your new home.
Jonathan