Home Buying in Newark>Question Details

Snoopy, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

How's the Newark Ca neighborhood? Is it a safe place to live?

Asked by Snoopy, San Francisco, CA Wed Oct 21, 2009

Answers

8
I've lived in Newark for more than 40 years and I can tell from first hand experience that the area has changed from when I first moved here. Just like with any city there are good areas and bad areas. To be honest your best bet is to ask the people who live here. Go into the local shops and ask, you'll find people very receptive and happy to talk to you. The police station is a good idea as well. If you are planning on growing a family out here you can check this link on Triulia that will help you decide which schools are the best, although it doesn't take into consideration the private and charter schools in Newark which you might want to consider as well.

http://www.trulia.com/school-district/CA-Alameda_County/Newa…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
Hi Snoopy, you can find the Police Crime Reports & Statistics of Newark from the Newark Police Department:
http://www.newark.org/departments/police/administrative-serv…

In addition, you should visit Newark in the area you wish to reside at different times during the day to get a feel for the neighborhood. An area could be completely different at night whereas during the day it can look quiet.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Hi Snoopy,

I went through the Citizens Police Academy in Fremont (Newark's neighbor) a few years back and I can absolutely tell you the typical city resident only hears about 2% of what actually happens on a daily basis.

Newark is really no different than many US cities, there are areas that are better than others. What makes a particular neighborhood "good" or "safe" is best determined by the individual. Therefore, my suggestion would be to certainly review individual's opinions as to their experiences, but ultimately rely on your own detailed research.

I have found http://www.crimereports.com to be pretty darn good for breaking down incidents in detail along with a mapping feature that geo-locates specific crime events.

Best, Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 22, 2009
I love Newark! The 2 best areas are the development off of Spruce and Jarvis (Jarvis Landing/Tara) and the Lakes. There are also a lot of older neighborhoods with tiny houses which are not as desirable. You will have a perfect view of the Don Edwards Nature Sanctuary if you are fortunate to find a home in the Jarvis Landing area off of roads like Spruce, Kiote, and Bridgepointe Drive. The area behind the homes is owned by the US Department of the Interior and can never be developed. The area called the Lakes has a man-made lake which I believe was a former quarry.

This area is an easy ride to the major Bay cities and there is public transportation. The only drawback is that these homes are not on the market very often.
Hi "Snoopy"

In addition to using the suggested tools that my fellow colleagues have recommended, I advise you to consider spending some time in-and-around the area you intend on moving to. Take a few days to hang out in Newark, get to know the people and drive the neighborhoods. I would even suggest you knock on some doors and telling them that you are considering on making a move to the neighborhood. You'll find out that the local residents are eager to give you their opinion and first-hand knowledge. Regardless of what city you choose, doing this will help you feel a bit more confident of your decision.

I wish you well.
Web Reference: http://www.realtorrose.net/
I lived in Newark for 10 years and feel proud be a Newark resident. Newark Memorial High School doesn’t great as Mission San Jose or Irvington High School in Fremont but sufficient for average students. My son graduated from Newark Memorial High School with very low SAT scores because he was a new immigrant with poor English at that time but he entered engineering school at UCSD and finally graduated from there with honor degree.

I search my second home throughout South Bay and Fremont and finally bought a home in Newark Lake area. I like this Lake area very much.
Another suggestion is to contact the City of Newark Police Department. They have dedicated personnel to answer specific questions for potential residents, especially when involved in a relocation. Their website should provide links to statistics on schools, retail, crime, city amenities, entertainment and the like.

With home prices and mortgage rates at an all-time low, congratulations on your decision to buy a home!
All my best,
Julie Conlon
Sr. Loan Officer
jconlon@milestonemtg.com
Snoopy:

Newark is a great place to live. It’s a very quiet suburban community with awesome commute access to just about everywhere in the Bay Area. It also has a few outstanding features such as The Lake at Lakeshore Park. It has very low crime stats and a progressive city government. The mayor of Newark is the third longest currently seated mayor in the country. It has added a stability to the city found in few other places. I’ve lived at the Lake in Newark for many years and thoroughly enjoy living here.

See the city’s website at http://www.ci.newark.ca.us/
.