Home Buying in Attica>Question Details

Norm, Home Buyer in Vincennes, IN

How "different" is living in a mobile home,as opposed to a "stick built" home on a slab or foundation.? No 16" stud

Asked by Norm, Vincennes, IN Fri Sep 2, 2011

centers,and no drywall? I guess I've been seeing too many newscasts about tornadoes and hurricanes,and too many pictures of those "trailers"scattered all over.But,I realize NOTHING can hold up to such force,and it's a bias on my part.

My opinion if you have a choice to purchase a mobile home or a "stick built home on a slab" would be go for the home on the slab. Once the real estate market begins to turn around, the home on a slab should start seeing appreciation. The Mobile home will continue to depreciate.

In Florida our "stick build homes on a slab" are built to maintain wind force standards. Those standards can be to withstand winds of 110 mph, 120mph or higher depending upon the county and whether the county has a border on the ocean. Not sure about a mobile home.
A lot of the problem with mobile homes is just the fact they are mobile. Many localities require them to be strapped to the ground to help hold them, but be serious - 3 or 4 straps into the ground it not the same as a stick built house on a solid foundation in a 100+ mph wind. Mobiles are often built with less quality and thinner materials than a stick built. A better choice might be a modular home which is basically a stick built home made into sections and assembled on site.