Sarah, Other/Just Looking in Tigard, OR

How much will that cost me in Tigard OR?

Asked by Sarah, Tigard, OR Thu May 29, 2008

House needs new roof or a patch job asap.
Sewer lines are broke thanks to roots and need replaced under driveway.
Electric meter are in a dangerous place might need moved
These are the problems they found post inspection
how much will cost to fix each of them?
Ballpark figure or guess?
How should I negotiate these items?

Answers

9
Need so much more info to even start giving an answer. Buying? Selling? FSBP? Broker/s involved? You asked this in the buying section so I assume you are looking at this house. Made the offer? Thinking about making it? Elaborate then we can offer advice. Regarding costs, Dirk below sounds right in the ballpark but who really knows until wading into the probelms? This is a brokers site, not a contractor site.
That is quite a list of items, did the seller disclose any of these on the required property disclosure forms? That would help you with your negotiations, if they truly had no idea of the issues then bringing them up with the support of your inspection report should allow for an aimable starting point for the negotiation.
If you have the time to get contractor quotes for the repairs then you can include them with your request repairs as part of the inspection period contingency release. If you don't have time to get contractors quotes to support your requested repairs, then you should detail the required repairs referencing the inpsection report and using terms such as "evaluated and repaired by a licencsed and bonded contractor" so that it is clear when the sellers are agreeing to the repairs that it is not just cousin Joe going up on the roof with a bucket of tar to 'fix it". Be careful of how you write the repair addendum as it could have some impact on your bank loan, particularly the roof and sewer issues as the bank will see the addendums and many will insist that these items be repaired prior to closing so if that doesn't meet your strategy i.e. you are looking for a price reduction vs repairs be careful.
Sarah- If you are in the inspection period, you are in luck. If you are concerned about the experience of your realtor, talk to him! Ask him if their is someone in his office who could help out. We all have principal brokers who are there for us. He should definately be communicating with his principal and other realtors who have been in similar situations. If he doesnt provide you with an answer that you are comfortable with (or is uncomfortable going to someone for help) then pick up the phone and call his principal broker yourself. The entire reason you have a real estate broker is to make sure you are being made aware of all your options. If you are not getting that- tell the principal that you need more help. THis is a huge purchase for you and you need to feel comfortable with and confident in the person who is managing the process.

I so hope this is helpful to you.

best,
Cathy

The Hasson Company Realtors
503-705-8795

cathy@cathymankus.com

Turning Houses into Homes

The good news for you is that if you are not able to successfully negotiate a resolution during the 10 day inspection period you can get out of the transaction with no loss of your earnest money. Just make sure you know what your dates are.
It is unfortunate that you didnt have a sewer scope done. This would have identified the problems with the line
MY ANSWER-yes! We had one done this is how we found the problem.
I am the buyer not the seller.
I do have a realtor
This is the inspection period
He is very new in the biz and I am looking for a second opinion.
Sewer lines will range from $3000 to $15,000 dollars.
Panel is alos spendy. I would guess $2000 dollars if you do not move it very far.

You need to come right out and ask for what you want. IN this market that is the only way to go.

Regards;

Dirk Knudsen
Web Reference: http://www.nwhomcenter.com
PS- if you are just thinking about making an offer and havent already done so, I would be more then happy to help you out. I can be reached by cell or email: cathy@cathymankus.com
Hi Sarah-
All of these are things that you can (and should) get quotes on. Sounds like the house needs a little work. Couple of things to keep in mind. If you are the seller, it is your responsibility to take care of the roof and sewer lines. You can call any vendor and they will come out and give you a quote at no expense to you. If you are the buyer and these were found after the inspection.....you will probably end up paying for them yourself UNLESS you are still in your inspection period. In that case, you can request the seller repair them. Regardless, a good contractor will come out and give you an estimate at not cost whether you are the buyer OR the seller. I would strongly urge you to have at a minimum a roofer, an electrician and an excavation/drain company come out to do this.

It is unfortunate that you didnt have a sewer scope done. This would have identified the problems with the line. At this point you will probably need to have one done to determine exactly what and where the problems are. This will cost you about 100.00. How did you find out about this after the inspection
anyway?

I hope you are being represented because it sounds like you need some assistance here. Your realtor should be able to provide you names of good contractors to provide quotes as well as discuss with you negotiating strategies. If you are under contract with no representation, my heart goes out to you. You may want to read your contract carefully (or seek legal counsel) to see where you are in the process (i.e. are you still in the repair period), whether you have received all the proper disclosures and what your options are.

I wish you well.

Cathy Mankus
The Hasson Company
503-705-8795

Turning Houses into Homes
I meant to answer the second part of your question as well. Your realtor is the one who will help you with the negotiations. That's what we're trained for. If you don't have a realtor for your deal on this end I would be happy to pick up where you are having difficulties and arrange to help with these negoations and look over all file details you've covered so far. You need someone working on your behalf. Are you buying a listed home or a for sale by unrepresented seller? Please respond to this email on my private email address if you wish to have some help getting you to the closing table. You need to have your liabilities covered. my email is jlizotte@prunw.com
Web Reference: http://www.junelizotte.com
Unfortunately your questions need to be answered by actual contractors to be accurate. Without knowing the extent of the roof issue or the damage by the roots in the sewer line even a contractor couldn't give you an estimate without actually seeing it.