Home Buying in Mansfield>Question Details

Vincent, Home Buyer in 36115

How much usually does it cost to add a garage space to a 2 car garage and also was wondering what the average cost of building an in-ground pool is?

Asked by Vincent, 36115 Thu May 6, 2010

Answers

6
You would have inquire to city if you can add that much additional space. Permits would be necessary.

Pools you need determine the value of your home. You don't want to build a $50K pool if your home is only worth $150K

Pools vary in cost from $20K - $100K depends on all the adds you require, back yard, amount of construction take down a fence access to yard and etc.

In many instances with all these upgrades you like to do COULD be easier sale your or lease current property purchase one with all updates less time and expense.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 6, 2010
Prices can vary widely from area to area. I would suggest contacting a few reputable local contractors and getting bids from them. They may even be able to give you loose estimates over the phone if you are just looking for a ball-park figure, but your best bet is to have them come out and shoot you a solid proposal for both. Most reputable firms won't charge you just to come out and give you an estimate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 6, 2010
I have a client in Rockwall who built a detached garage for $10k. On an existing home, to add garage space, you have to pull a copy of your survey to see if you have adequate space within the build line. Plus, if you live in an HOA area, you have to check construction restrictions. And, as a construction project, you'll have to permit through the city. If you are talking about a new home, where you'd be buying it from the builder and the builder is doing the addition - the cost of adding the extra space in the garage should be the cheapest. And, the resale value should be the highest.

Regarding the pool, $15,000 to $85,000 is the range of value on pools that my clients have added. For $15k, they got a basic playpool - unheated, with no bells and whistles. But, the pool was appropriate to the price point of the homes in the neighborhood. Anything more would have been overkill and no resale advantage. You have to be careful not to over-spend. On a $500,000 home, you can put in an $85,000 heated pool with attached spa, lighting feature, waterfall, and backyard landscaping/decking. The key with more expensive homes is keeping the pool scale in line with the scale of the house. Too small a pool with a huge house can be an objection to buyers at resale. Too large a pool, with no backyard grass whatsoever for little ones - of the human or pet nature - can be an objection, too.

Have a blessed day!
Ronda
Vincent...
Pool....anywhere from $20000 and up....$20,000 is pretty basic and may include minimal decking and landscaping. As you go up in price of course you get more features. Maybe a heater, maybe better surfacing, more decking, waterfalls, lighting, cleaning systems, attached spa, saltwater, cabanas and the entire oasis.
Adding space to a garage on an existing house in one of the newer neighborhoods could be pretty expensive. The problem and biggest expense is engineering a slab and perhaps moving concrete back to make it happen. I'd guess starting at $20,000 if the house is built and now you want to add garage space. If building from start seems like many builders will add for $8000-$15000 1 car space depending on the neighborhood.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Vincent,

I'm with Lynn on this one. Why don't you search for homes with 3 car garages and an inground pool. You definitely won't get a dollar for dollar value on a pool if you go to sell the home. IE; You spend $30,000 to put in an inground pool and later decide to sell the home. In all probability, you will get $10,000-$15,000 back on appraised value. So the value placed on the pool is going to be the enjoyment you got out of it, not the dollar value in return you expect. However, if you purchase a home with one already in, then you will most likely get the same back out of it. Of course, this depends on the market trends at the time. As far as adding an addition to a garage, you need to check building codes, HOA regulations, etc.. Much easier to find one with a 3 car garage! Let me know if you need help!

Jackie
Off the cuff - pools can range from 30-50K for an average pool and upwards of 80 - 100K for a high end pool and I would say that depending on the garage space and the choices you make 15-25K plus.

I am not a general contractor but I have an idea based on my experiences. Hope that helps in some way.