Home Buying in Santa Clara>Question Details

Wei, Real Estate Pro in San Jose, CA

How much termite damage is too much?

Asked by Wei, San Jose, CA Wed Nov 14, 2007

I know one can furmugate the house and get rid off termite, for a while. But what about the damage already caused? Some of which may be invisible unless you tear the house down?

Answers

7
Lots of good info from these agents. Find a Termite inspector that is Level # 1 Certified in Thermal Imaging. this is the new way of inspecting homes. Many things can be exposed by an Infrared Thermal Imaging inspection. Please vsit my web site for more IR-information. This termite issue you have may only be a drop in the bucket. Infrared can give you a better idea of what is going on and how to fix the condition.

On the home page of my web site you will find a wall that had termite damage on the inside. with the Infrared Camera we could see just how bad the damage was...

INFRARED ( Making the invisible visible )

http://www.santarosatermiteandpestcontrol.com

Best
Ron Bibler
Excellence Exterminating Co.
Thanks for all your answers. The house I am looking at has never had a termite treatment (16years). I just got the termite inspection report. The total section 1 cost is 11k with 5500 for tenting. And the report has many clauses stating damage extend to inaccessable areas. I am just wondering if the house is worth buying. I am not concerned about the section 1 cost per se, but about what its implication on the soundness of the structure.
No - Not Worth it
Flag Wed Apr 22, 2015
Most Pest Control operators do a pretty good job of exposign those areas of concern. However, they also have those blanket clauses of "inaccessible areas" which are always disturbing. That's why "tenting" a whole house is the last thing they like to do. If this is a concern to you make sure you "expose" those areas which the pest control operator states are inacessble. If that' s not practical then DON'T BUY THE PROPERTY!! The only 100% gaurantee you get in life is you're not leaving here alive!
A qualified termite inspector can answer this question best. When selling a house, sellers typically pay for section 1 termite work. This is work that replaces beams etc. that show damage. I would encourage you to have the inspector take photos and ask the questions you have of several termite companies.
Too much is when the structural integrity is compromised. Look at the roofline, and corners..feel for "soft spots" on the floors, and little holes in the corners along the corners of the house. Also look where the gitter meets/or does not meet the wall.

One does not need to tear the house down to observe these things. Also, look in the attic, and if one can get under the house if it is raised, look at the front and rear sills, and where the sewer and water lines enter the home.
Web Reference: http://www.iansellsnola.com
Consult with your choice of pest inspector. It is true that no one knows what can not be seen. A good home inspector, pest inspector and a good agent that can help you along the way are all important parts to a successful experience. You can contact the pest control board for California for records of past pest inspections on the property and license information for a specific pest control company as well as advice on some issues. Great question and worth digging into. May give new meaning to "this house will go fast"!
If you know there is damage, many termite inspectors will say they can treat the problem and there will be no more issue of termites. HOWEVER, they often times don't want to sign off on the structural integrity of the home and you will need to get an engineer.. As far as home inspectors go, most are failed contractors so I don't trust them to tell me anything that I can't see myself. To answer the original question, get an engineer out to look at the home. That's your best bet
Flag Thu Oct 31, 2013