Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Lookingatsea…, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

How much should the average home inspection cost?

Asked by Lookingatseattle, Seattle, WA Thu May 16, 2013

Answers

7
Ray Akers’ answer
The cost of a home inspection varies. I've experienced home inspections that run as low as $250 for a condo, to $1,500 for a waterfront home. On average, a home inspection usually runs between $400 to $500.
You will also need to get the sewer line inspected (especially if the house is over 30 years old). Not included in a home inspection, prepare to spend an additional $150-$250 to have a camera scoped through the sewer line from the house to the street to make certain there are no gaps, breaks or roots damaging/blocking the line. Sewer repairs can be very expensive and most buyers do not want the burden of paying for a large expense after closing; knowing in advance allows a buyer to negotiate repairs or reduce the sale price accordingly.

You really should enlist the help of an agent who will help you navigate your home purchase. It is likely the largest purchase you will make in your life and you should hire a professional to facilitate the process. (You likely wouldn't represent yourself in a court room, but rather hire a professional, an attorney, to represent you.) There is no charge to a buyer in Washington State to hire representation, a buyer's agent's commission is paid by the seller and is negotiated at the time of the listing, not at the time of purchase. It is important you have your own professional representative that advocates for your success and not for the benefit of the home seller.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have more questions (answers, of course, are free of charge :-) 206-501-7837 or email me phoebe@SheSellsSeattle.com and visit my website to view all Seattle area listings: http://www.SheSellsSeattle.com

I am never too busy to help!

Phoebe Underwood
It depends on the property. How large is the house? Is there an attic and a crawl space? Other factors can affect the price too.
I think $400 is the average cost for the average home by one of the top inspectors in the Seattle area. If you want a more precise estimate, just let me know the square footage of the house, and the neighborhood. Best of luck, Mary
$300- $600 depending on whats done
I have seen them go from $250-550 depending on the size and the location of the property that is having the inspection completed.
I also do know that if you get a termite inspection from the right company it can be between $50-150 once again depending in the size and location of the property. Here in the valley a lot of times the termite report give you just about the same amount of info with a termite report for a larger discount.
This is just one way to get more bang for your buck if that is what you are looking for.

Michael Litchenberg
DRE # 07158814
(559) 472-5120
michael.remax@hotmail.com
Hello, in Seattle this ranges between $350-$500 depending on the scope of the inspection and the size of the home.