Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Seanf, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

How much should the average home inspection cost?

Asked by Seanf, San Francisco, CA Thu Apr 11, 2013

Answers

8
I think it depends on the inspector you choose to hire as well as the are you live in. If I were you, I would call the ones you are considering hiring and ask them what they charge. They should be able to tell you everything you need to know. I would try getting a hold of them soon! http://thirdcoasthomeinspection.com
It depends on the inspector usually. Some inspectors have over 100 things that they check and that can take them a long time. I would talk to a few inspectors and get a couple of quotes. That would give you a rough idea on what you should pay. http://www.taylormadeinspections.com/about
It really depends on the area of your home and the inspector you choose. I suggest getting in contact with a few different home inspectors, and see what they have to offer. Usually it is pretty competitive and they are all about the same price. Good luck. http://ne-homeinspections.com
The cost for a full home inspection varies, but usually between $400 to $500 for a single-family home, and as low as $250 for a condominium. Large luxury homes or unique properties might expect an inspection to cost upwards of $1,500. Choose an inspector with care, and check references. Good luck.
About $500 give or take for a 2,500 sf home. Goes up or down from there depending on size. Never choose a home inspector by cost. The variance in cost is not worth it. Get the best inspector.
Hi Seanf,

The cost of an inspection ranges from inspector to inspector and house to house. I've seen them as cheap as $150 but usually no more than $450 (for an average single family home). A lot of inspectors charge depending on square footage, age of the home, and the scope of work involved.

More important than price is the inspector's knowledge and experience. Research an inspector's work and background before choosing one. An inspection should take a good 3 hours at least if the inspector is doing a thorough job. It may save you thousands of dollars to pay a little bit more for an experienced inspector who really knows what he/she is doing vs. hiring the least expensive inspector who just started inspecting homes a few weeks ago and has little or no training/experience.

Hi Seanf,

Not to be rude but, Seanf, there is no average home inspection cost. There is a RANGE of home inspection costs from $250 for a Studio/Condo under 1,000 Sq. Ft. to a few thousands for a waterfront mansion with an acre of land.

A good home inspection includes basement or crow space, attic , exterior, building structure, appliances, and mold and past inspection. Typically, to estimate an inspection cost, an inspector will ask you for the property details, such as built year, Sq. Ft., bedroom and bathroom number, and property style (Condo, Townhouse, SFH with or without basement), before they give you a price.

Then, it also depends on the quality of inspection. Some inspectors from a well-known company will charge you 10 or 20% more but provide you a typed, formal, and detailed inspection report. Some independent inspectors charge less and provide you a hand-written quick inspection result on site.

Third, it all depends on what you aim for on the inspection. If my clients are experience buyer and don't need the inspection to cut down the offer price, I recommend a less expensive one. If my clients are new to home purchase and are making negotiation after home inspection, I would recommend a detailed inspection report.

The best way for you is to trust your Realtor. Ask your Realtor to provide you a few inspector names to contact. S/He should have a few inspectors with different price ranges for different types of clients. If you don't have much options, contact me and I can give you some names I trust.

SAVE your home search and sign up for a NEW LISTING ALERT, go to
Seanf,
Please don't risk getting an average inspection, get a great inspection. Prices vary, you can interview inspectors and review sample reports on their websites or by email. I've seen some pretty pathetic inspection reports and some inspectors I would never recommend. It's a wide open competitive field.
Ideally you want someone with a background in building who has years of inspection experience. They know their limitations and will recommend more specific detailed inspections when necessary.
A home inspector is a generalist, they know a little about a lot of things and then they refer out for HVAC, Sewer Scoping, Arborists, etc which they are not qualified or trained to address.
If you are spending a few hundred thousand dollars a home, don't be afraid to know what you are buying by getting a good inspection.
If you want a referral, contact me. My preferred inspector uses great technology, writes a very useful report and is priced competitively.