Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Trulia Washi…, Other/Just Looking in Charlotte, NC

How much should an inspection of a typical family home cost?

Asked by Trulia Washington DC, Charlotte, NC Tue Apr 9, 2013

Answers

6
Ashi.org is a great place to start. Most inspectors have minimums ($250-300) and adjust upward based on square footage. Once you're at 10,000 s.f. different standards kick in so those inspections can be quite costly.
The cost of an average home inspection can vary greatly, the biggest variable being the size of the property being inspected. In my experience, the average home inspection for a 2bed/2bath condo or home will cost between $350 and $500.

A huge amount of confidence is placed in the skill set and experience of your home inspector, so be sure to ask your friends and your REALTOR who they've used in the past and who they recommend. I am happy to share with any interested persons my personal experiences with some wonderful DC home inspectors.

Yelp isn't the only resource, but for unbiased feedback it is a good way to start.
http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=home_inspectors&find_loc…

Jesse C. Sutton - REALTOR
STAGES Premier, REALTORS
You can check http://mobile.ashi.org/
Best regards
I have seen inspectors base their price on the sales price, as well as on size. In my experience, an inspection for a sudio or one-bedroom condo would cost $250-$300. A single family home would range $300-$500 depending on size and particular inspector.
Lots of variables - size of home - does it have a pool etc... Check with an inspector as prices can range from a couple hundred and up depending on the home as well as what type of inspections you want done (home, termite, radon, mold, Chinese drywall etc...)
Inspection costs vary between a few hundred and a thousand. How many square ft?