Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Christinarit…, Home Buyer in East Elmhurst, NY

How much should I save up for moving to houston?

Asked by Christinaritchie28, East Elmhurst, NY Sun Jul 14, 2013

How much should I save to move to houston texas in the next year? Looking to buy not rent. Want to live in a nice area but also age appropiate. I have a federal job but can ask for tansfer. I am single with no children and will be 24 next year.

Answers

8
Hello Christina,

I really like Ron's answer, but I think you are asking what prices are like and what you might need for downpayment and closing costs. Coming from NY, you will have sticker shock the opposite way. Our prices here look like bargain basement items in comparison. As a young, single woman with no children, you will probably want a smaller house, townhouse or condo. Prices can range anywhere from under $100k to many times that depending on the neighborhood. Need to know more about your lifestyle and where you might work. Houston's commute times are long and will probably get longer as so many are moving in to the area.

As many have suggested, you should contact a lender to get an idea of what you can really afford and choose a Realtor to be YOUR agent. There are many very qualified professionals on this forum and we would all love to help you and have you as a client.

Arnold Richie, Realtor®
Terry Burnaman Realtors
arnold@yournexthomehouston.com
http://www.yournexthomehouston.com
713-396-2017 281-788-8962
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 15, 2013
You can buy a nice home in a safe nice neighborhood starting at $150K. Housing is inexpensive down here. It all depends if you want to live in the city or in the suburbs. Depending on where your job and where you want to live...prices vary. Some of the suburbs are The Woodlands, Katy, Pearland, Sugarland, Missouri City.
You first need to know what you can afford as far as the bank is concerned and then what you can and want to live with as a payment. Those are possibly two different numbers.

From there speak with a lender or lenders to get some ideas of what costs you will incur in a typical purchase. Save as much as you can for unexpected expenses as well.

Hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com

The Houston area boasts anything from very affordable homes to multi-million dollar homes. We are one of the least expensive major cities in the nation, but the answer to your question depends largely on your budget.

With an FHA loan, you only need 3.5% down, and I can negotiate that the Seller pay for your closing costs. Then you just need another $1,000 or so for the other out of pocket expenses for the survey (if the Seller can't provide one), the appraisal, and a home inspection.

I have a fantastic lender I can refer you to, if you don't already have one. Please call me with any other questions at 713-890-9108.

Truly,

Brandon Newton
Master Certified Negotiation Expert
First off you will save your state income TX by relocating. Then with 5% down payment and your good credit you can do a conventional loan or with 3.5% down payment you can go with a FHA. So what are you waiting for dont let others beat you to the Loan Star State after all your gas price will go down by at least 20 cents per gallon.

Are you shopping for a Home? It may seem backwards to shop for a mortgage before you shop for the house, but there are several reasons for doing this. Shopping for a mortgage will also help if you can get “pre-approved” for the amount you’d like to borrow. This means the lender has looked over your credit and financial statement and agreed to lend you the money. Sellers like pre-approved buyers because there’s less risk the deal won’t go through. First, you’ll find out how much you can borrow, which has a lot to do with how much house you can buy.

Whether you’re, buying, building or Re-Financing your dream home, you have a lot riding on your decision. Market conditions and mortgage programs change frequently, and I welcome the opportunity to serve your needs with quick and accurate real estate financing advice. I have the expertise and knowledge to help you determine the absolute best loan program to meet your objectives. Get my Top 25 Questions for FREE that you should be asking your lender before you choose them to secure a mortgage along with a FREE copy of The 8 Deadly mistakes to avoid when buying a Home. If you are already working with a lender, don’t be shy to give me call so I can price the same mortgage for you with less cost. What do you have to loose but your money?

Ensuring that you make the right choice for you and your family is my ultimate goal. I am committed to providing my customers with mortgage services that exceed their expectations.. As always, you may contact me anytime by phone, fax or email for personalized service and receive expert advice from a Bank Mortgage Banker who is responsible for the decisions on all mortgages coupled with over 17 years of experience in the industry.

I look forward to working with you! And making your dreams a REALITY

Lowell Sterling
Mortgage Banker
NMLS# 968898
LSterling@DallasBestMortgage.com
1910 Firman Dr, Suite 104 | Richardson, TX 75081
Office: 972-480-9888 | Fax: 469-519-8765
And I think renting for a year would be best. Find out what location best fits you. If you do wish to immediately purchase , I reside close to Bellaire/West U. Of course, much of the development here in the city is happening in the Rice Military, Heights, Midtown and River Oaks area. I reside and do most of my work here in the city.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
281 785-5132
Web Reference: http://Joelocator.com
Every cotton picking penny that you can!
No pizza. No DVDs. No new clothes.
How a garage sale and get rid of everything that you don't use everyday.
Don't charge anything.
Get your credit accounts, esp credit cards, with 20% of their limit.
Sock as much into your savings that you can.
Hello Christina

I suggest you research some neighborhoods like, West University, Montrose, Rice Village, Heights, Bellaire and see what appeals to you. These areas are attractive to young buyers. They are close to Downtown, Medical Center and have amenities and 'things-to-do' that appeals to a lot of folks. Once you get an idea, then you can check what type of housing is available and the prices associated with them, so you can make an educated guess as to what minimum amount you must have in order to be able to move into a home. Another factor you should consider is getting in touch with a lender that can give you an idea of what you can afford, which in turn will give you an idea of what you can spend every month on your mortgage payment and what you are comfortable buying.

If you need some lender references, I can provide some. If you have any questions, I can help answer, please contact me at the information below.

Best wishes for your move.

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com