Home Buying in Dallas>Question Details

Mv143, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

How much should I expect to pay monthly in utilities on a 4400 sq. ft. home that is energy star certified?

Asked by Mv143, Dallas, TX Fri Jun 19, 2009

My wife and I are currently looking at homes in the Dallas/Forth worth area that are considered to be energy star certified and wanted to know how much should we expect to pay monthly in utilities( electricity, water, ect.) for a house that’s 4400 sq. ft. vs. one that’s about 2800 sq. ft.?

Answers

3
Hi Mv143,

When I sold new Energy Star Homes for a builder, I polled my clients and a home that was about 3200 sq. ft. - the average bill was around $250. In my n-hood, they didn't build anything in the 4000+ sq. ft. range at that time.

BTW, are you looking at any MHI homes (Pioneer, Plantation, Coventry, Carmel?) I know they did a survey of all their clients all over the metroplex and they have some interesting data to share. We took some clients to look at a Coventry home last weekend and they appreciated that information.

Hope it helps,
Terri Hayley
The Hayley Group, Keller Williams
Top 5% of Realtors
Everything depends....

Perhaps one way to do it is extraplate what you use now based on local electric and water rates.

It is just not easy for anyone but you to predict. Some people keep the AC on all year at sub zero temperatures, leave the lights on, all electronics on all the time, and leave the doors open. Others use solar screens, presets on the thermostats, and live comfortably at 80 in the summer and 65 in the winter. Some people take a shower at the gym every day, some take 30min shower at home 2x a day. When you start to add in all the variances of people's lifestyles and how many people living in the house, it is tough to put a good number on these things.

Good luck with the purchase.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Answers (1)
First to answer: Roxanne Debe…Recent Oldest Highest Rated
Roxanne Deberry’s answer
The answer you selected will appear as the first answer. Share this URL with your friends.
URL
Roxanne Deberry
Agent
Plano, TX
FIRST ANSWER
This is Roxanne DeBerry with Keller Williams Realty. What a great question and one that is extremely hard to answer. The reason I say this is because it depends on many factors. First it depends on what the utility companies charge in each area. It also depends on the home itself, does it have lots of windows and what type of windows does it have? Windows cause a lot of energy loss. If you have children the utility bills will differ as well. The reason for this is because kids come in and out of the house frequently which means opening the doors and letting out heating or air conditioning and making the units work harder which uses more energy. If you have children your water usage will also go up. One of the other things that cause electricity bills to go up is lighting. If a home does not have energy efficient lighting then energy bills will rise. Of course, leaving the lights on all the time will also increase your energy usage. There are many new devices that are coming on the market that will help reduce home energy costs. New type of windows and tankless water heaters, solar panels , lighting, but some of them are pretty pricy.

My advice is to call the local utility companies and have thenm give you their expert opinion. When I work with my clients to purchase a home, we ask the seller to provide us with their average utility bills. However, I also let my clients know that just because they have a large average energy bill it could be because they have children or they might not be as frugal with their ener.gy consumption. If it is only going to be two of you, rather than a family of 4 then the bill can be reduced significantly. Remember no two homes are exactly the same, even if they look like it. There is always some differences in the way they are orientated on the lot, windows facing the sun or or other factors. Again, the utility companies would have the most accurate information on consumption. Again, it depends on your lifestyle, size of family and how you yourself will do what is necessary to reduce the energy costs of the home. I hope this gives you an idea of what to look for when asking about the cost of utilities. Thank you for allowing the realtor community to assist you.